Subject: [precis] I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-mappings-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 04:55:52 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Mapping characters for PRECIS classes
        Authors         : Yoshiro YONEYA
                          Takahiro Nemoto
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-mappings-06.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-01-24

Abstract:
   The framework for preparation and comparison of internationalized
   strings ("PRECIS") defines several classes of strings for preparation
   and comparison.  Case mapping is defined because many protocols
   perform case-sensitive or case-insensitive string comparison and so
   preparation of the string is mandatory.  The Internationalized Domain
   Names in Applications (IDNA) and the PRECIS problem statement
   describes mappings for internationalized strings that are not limited
   to case, but include width mapping and mapping of delimiters and
   other specials that can be taken into consideration.  This document
   provides guidelines for authors of protocol profiles of the PRECIS
   framework and describes several mappings that can be applied between
   receiving user input and passing permitted code points to
   internationalized protocols.  The mappings described here are
   expected to be applied as an additional mapping in the PRECIS
   framework.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-mappings/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-mappings-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-precis-mappings-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Takahiro Nemoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 22:02:58 +0900

Dear all,

Yoneya-san and I submitted new version of precis mappings document. 
We changed the definition of local case mapping and
added a new open issue to reflect comments in IETF88.
Please read and give your comments/suggestions.

Regards,

Nemo

--
Takahiro Nemoto
[email-masked]

Begin forwarded message:

> 差出人: [email-masked]
> 件名: [precis] I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-mappings-06.txt
> 日時: 2014年1月24日 21:55:52 JST
> 宛先: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> precis mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/precis

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 06:57:30 -0700

> Yoneya-san and I submitted new version of precis mappings document.
Thank you for updating the document!

> We changed the definition of local case mapping and

That is better, thanks. If I understand your text correctly, we might
want to say very clearly that a PRECIS profile needs to either use
case mapping or use local case mapping, but that it can't use both
(i.e., local case mapping is an alternative to case mapping, not
something additional on top of case mapping, since the local case
mapping rule will apply normal case mapping if there is no
locale-specific mapping).

> added a new open issue to reflect comments in IETF88.

I think it is fine to leave handling of final sigma up to Unicode, and
to not define a new table. If we decide to take that course, you might
include one or two examples (I provided some in a previous posting to
this list).

Peter

---

From: Takahiro Nemoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 13:39:21 +0900

Hi Peter-san,

Thank you for your quick reply.
Comments are in line.

On 2014/01/24, at 22:57, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Signed PGP part

That's exactly right. I agree with what you said,  thanks. 

> include one or two examples (I provided some in a previous posting to

Thank you. Considering the maintenance and preservation of the document, 
I think it would be better to leave the handling of final sigma up to Unicode. 
I will modify the mappings document to include an example.

Regards,

Nemo