Subject: [precis] case mapping text in framework

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:30:11 -0600

In London, we talked about clarifying the text about case mapping in the 
framework document. I propose the following modifications...

Section 4.1.3

OLD

    Another option is to use the "local case mapping" method specified in
    [I-D.ietf-precis-mappings].  Note: because that method applies normal
    case mapping to Unicode characters that do not have special rules for
    locale-dependent or context-dependent mapping, if case mapping is
    desired then a profile needs to specify either the "local case
    mapping" method from [I-D.ietf-precis-mappings] or another method
    such as Unicode Default Case Folding.

NEW

    Note: Unicode Default Case Folding does not take into account
    localization issues (such as "dotless i" in several Turkic
    languages).  The PRECIS mappings document [I-D.ietf-precis-mappings]
    describes these issues in greater detail and defines a "local case
    mapping" method that handles some locale-dependent and context-
    dependent mappings.

Section 5

OLD

    3.  Case mapping as described under Section 4.1.3 of this document
        (typically either the "local case mapping" method from
        [I-D.ietf-precis-mappings] or Unicode Default Case Folding)

NEW

    3.  Case mapping as described under Section 4.1.3 of this document.

Once we have made these changes, I think we can change the mappings 
document from a normative reference to an informative reference in the 
framework document.

Peter

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 17:48:15 -0600

Seeing no objections, I'm going to submit a revised I-D now with these 
modifications and a few other small corrections.

On 3/10/14, 6:30 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> precis mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/precis