Subject: [precis] proposed modifications of mappings document

From: Takahiro Nemoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:31:49 +0900

Dear all,

I am trying to reflect comments from the discussion in a last WG in London.
I would like you to review the following modifications and give your comments/suggestions.

Abstract & 1.  Introduction

OLD

   This document
   provides guidelines for authors of protocol profiles of the PRECIS
   framework and describes several mappings that can be applied between
   receiving user input and passing permitted code points to
   internationalized protocols.  The mappings described here are
   expected to be applied as an additional mapping and alternative to
   Unicode Default Case Folding as case mapping in the PRECIS framework.

NEW

   This document
   provides guidelines for authors of protocol profiles of the PRECIS
   framework and describes several mappings that can be applied between
   receiving user input and passing permitted code points to
   internationalized protocols.  The delimiter mapping and special mapping 
   rules described here are applied as "additional mappings" beyond those 
   defined in the PRECIS framework, whereas the "local case mapping" rule 
   is applied as an option of methods that handles some locale-dependent 
   and context-dependent mappings, which is the case mapping rule 
   specified in the PRECIS framework. 

2.3.  Local case mapping

OLD

   If a codepoint is a target, the case folding method for the codepoint
   is mapping into lower case as defined in SpecialCasing.txt.  On the
   other hand, if a codepoint is not a target, the case folding method
   for the codepoint is the same with case mapping in PRECIS framework.
   This local case mapping provides alternative case folding method to
   Unicode Default Case Folding as case mapping in the PRECIS framework,
   therefore if a PRECIS profile chooses local case mapping, it should
   not choose case mapping.  The reason for this is written in the
   Appendix B.

NEW

   The case folding method for a target character is to map into lower case 
   as defined in SpecialCasing.txt.  The case folding method for all other, 
   non-target characters is as specified in Section 4.1.3 of the PRECIS 
   framework (i.e., Unicode Default Case Folding SHOULD be used for all 
   non-target characters).  If an application supports users' locale and/or 
   context and gets them information from user input, local case mapping 
   can increase the probability of getting matching-results from the comparison 
   between strings.

3.  Order of operations

OLD

   The mappings described in this document are expected to be applied as
   additional mappings and alternative to Unicode Default Case Folding
   as case mapping in the PRECIS framework.  The mappings described in
   this document could be applied in any order.  This section specifies
   a particular order to minimize the effect of codepoint changes
   introduced by the mappings.  This mapping order is very general and
   has been designed to be acceptable to the widest user community.

NEW

   The mappings described in this document are expected to be applied as
   additional mappings in the PRECIS framework.  The mappings described in
   this document could be applied in any order.  This section specifies
   a particular order to minimize the effect of codepoint changes
   introduced by the mappings.  This mapping order is very general and
   has been designed to be acceptable to the widest user community.

Regards,
Nemo

--
Takahiro Nemoto
[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:03:53 -0600

>     specified in the PRECIS framework.

I think this is a bit clearer:

      whereas the "local case mapping" rule
      provides an alternative to the case mapping rule
      specified in the PRECIS framework since it
      handles some locale-dependent and context-dependent
      mappings.

One thing that I *thought* I heard in London is "the case mapping text 
in the framework document handles internationalization and the case 
mapping text in the mappings document handles localization". I tried to 
capture that in the framework with this text:

       Informational Note: Unicode Default Case Folding is not designed
       to handle various localization issues (such as so-called "dotless
       i" in several Turkic languages).  The PRECIS mappings document
       [I-D.ietf-precis-mappings] describes these issues in greater
       detail and defines a "local case mapping" method that handles some
       locale-dependent and context-dependent mappings.

Two questions:

1. Is that accurate?

2. Do we want to capture this in the mappings document as well?

>     can increase the probability of getting matching-results from the comparison

I would strike "and gets them information from user input" because I 
don't think that text adds anything to the sentence.

>     has been designed to be acceptable to the widest user community.

That looks fine to me.

Thanks for working on this.

Peter