Subject: [precis] ietf89 wg meeting minutes

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 14:24:50 +0000

Minutes of our meeting are posted at: http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/89/minutes/minutes-89-precis.
Thanks to Matt Miller for great scribing.

Please send mods to [email-masked]

Regards, Marc&Yoshiro

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:34:11 -0700

> Thanks to Matt Miller for great scribing.

Indeed!

> Please send mods to [email-masked]

Will do.

Peter

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:46:36 -0700

On 3/8/14, 11:34 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Minutes of our meeting are posted at:
>> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/89/minutes/minutes-89-precis.

Typo alert:

"substative" => "substantive"

This sentence is incomplete...

"OY:  I was wondering if we"

John is quoted as saying "a number of Eastern European countries", 
although IIRC he said something like "a number of countries in the part 
of the world that used to be called Central Asia"

Note that Yutaka Oiwa and I had a bit of a conversation about http-auth 
usernames in the chatroom:

http://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/precis/2014-03-04.txt

Personally, I feel that I will need to listen to the recording in order 
to make sure that I understand everything that we discussed in the session.

Peter

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:27:31 -0500

--On Saturday, 08 March, 2014 11:46 -0700 Peter Saint-Andre
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>...
> John is quoted as saying "a number of Eastern European
> countries", although IIRC he said something like "a number of
> countries in the part of the world that used to be called
> Central Asia"

The latter is correct.  There are a few Eastern European
countries (including, of course, part of Turkey) where Turkic
languages are used, but the one I had in mind, and the ones
where writing systems moved in the 20th century from those based
on Arabic script, to Turkic-variation Latin script, to Cyrillic
and that are now, in some areas, moving again to Latin script
although sometimes not with the same conventions about that
script used earlier.

For those who are interested and/or care, it is apparently
possible to find villages today in which any of the four scripts
are in use on a per-village or even per-household basis.

The context of all of this for those who were not in the meeting
is that "we" have a tendency to dismiss the "dotless i" issue as
being strictly connected to the Turkish language and/or a
Turkish national locale, presumably making the issues simple of
one only knows where that language is in use (e.g., configured
into an operating system or locale information).  That isn't
true and, as the Internet expands to more areas, could turn out
to be a very poor and highly discriminatory assumption.

>...

best,
   john