Subject: Re: [precis] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-precis-framework-15: (with COMMENT)

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:53:56 -0600

On 4/21/14, 4:38 PM, Alissa Cooper wrote:
> Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-precis-framework-15: No Objection
>
> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
> email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
> introductory paragraph, however.)
>
>
> Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
> for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
>
>
> The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework/
>
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> COMMENT:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Nice work. I have one comment in Section 4.3, which says:
>
> One consequence of disallowing space characters in the
>     IdentifierClass might be to effectively discourage the use of ASCII
>     space (or, even more problematically, non-ASCII space characters)
>     within identifiers created in newer application protocols; given the
>     challenges involved in properly handling space characters in
>     identifiers and other protocol strings, the Working Group considered
>     this to be a feature, not a bug.
>
> I find the use of the phrase “even more problematically” confusing given
> that it comes after “to effectively discourage.” I think the intended
> meaning here is that if non-ASCII space characters were to be used (or
> _encouraged_), that would be even more problematic than if ASCII space
> characters were to be used (or encouraged), right? I would suggest the
> following edit to the first part of the first sentence:
>
> One consequence of disallowing space characters in the
>     IdentifierClass might be to effectively discourage the use of ASCII
>     space (or the even more problematic non-ASCII space characters)
>     within identifiers created in newer application protocols;

Good point. I think this might be even clearer:

    One consequence of disallowing space characters in the
    IdentifierClass might be to effectively discourage their use within
    identifiers created in newer application protocols; given the
    challenges involved in properly handling space characters (especially
    non-ASCII space characters) in identifiers and other protocol
    strings, the Working Group considered this to be a feature, not a
    bug.

Peter

---

From: "Alissa Cooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:38:21 -0700