Subject: PMP> Printer MIB issue -

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 15:01:27 -0600

This is what the updated MIB states as a convention for contacting the
Operator or Service person...

As a convention to facilitate automatic notification of the operator by
the agent or the network management station, the phone number, fax number
or email address should be placed on a separate line starting with ASCII
LF (hex 0x0A) and the ASCII text string (without the quotes): 'phone: ',
'fax: ', and 'email: ', respectively. Phone numbers may contain digits,
spaces and parentheses, which shall be ignored. Phone numbers may also
include ASCII comma characters(hex 2C) that are used to indicate a
two-second pause during the dialing sequence.

Here is an objection I received...

The revised text in 'prtGeneralCurrentOperator' and
'prtGeneralServicePerson' incorrectly restricts the characters in phone
numbers, fails to recommend the use of standards-track URL schemes 'tel:'
(phone) and 'fax:' as specified in
<draft-antti-telephony-url-12.txt> (29 December 1999), requires that a
given 'line' BEGIN with LF (linefeed), which is incorrect usage of that
control character and not portable to all character sets.

The suggestion is that 'prtGeneralCurrentOperator' and
'prtGeneralServicePerson' reference the use of 'mailto:' (RFC 2368),
'tel:', and 'fax:' URL schemes OR delete the clarification in the updated
mib entirely (which may be safer with the IESG).

Comments, please.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems