Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> IEEE-ISTO PWG 5100.4-2001 IPP Override Attributes for Documents a nd Pages standard - downloaded

From: "Hastings, Tom N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:37:22 -0800

The IEEE-ISTO PWG 5100.4-2001 Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) Override
Attributes for Documents and Pages standard, dated February 7, 2001, has
been approved as a PWG "Trial Use" standard.  

The PWG process document is being updated to add this new Trial Use
category.  A PWG Trial Use standard has achieved the same level of progress
on the PWG standards track as an IETF Experimental standard has on the IETF
standards track.

This PWG Trial Use Standard is available at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/standards/pwg5100.4.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/standards/pwg5100.4.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/standards/pwg5100.4.rtf

All approved PWG standards will be put in this same directory.  The PWG
section of the IPP web page will be updated to point to this PWG standard.

I've also copied them, along with the versions that show the editorial
revisions ("-rev"), to their usual place as well:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_EXC/pwg5100.4.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_EXC/pwg5100.4.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_EXC/pwg5100.4.rtf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_EXC/pwg5100.4-rev.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_EXC/pwg5100.4-rev.doc

Here is the abstract:

Abstract
This document specifies an extension to the Internet Printing Protocol/1.0
(IPP) [RFC2565, RFC2566] and IPP/1.1 [RFC2910, RFC2911]. This extension
relaxes the restriction that each attribute value is the same for all pages,
all documents and all document copies within a job. For example, with this
extension, page 1 of a job could have a different media from the other pages
in the job or document 2 of a job could be stapled while the other documents
of the job are not. As another example, the first ten copies of a document
could be printed on letter paper and stapled while the eleventh copy of the
same document could be printed on transparencies with no staple.

This extension supports document overrides and page overrides by adding two
new Job Template attributes: "document-overrides" and "page-overrides" --
both have a syntax type of "1setOf collection". Each 'collection' value for
"document-overrides" contains an attribute that identifies the overridden
documents, namely "input-documents" or "output-documents". The 'collection'
value also contains one or more attributes that are overrides for the
identified documents, e.g. "document-format", "finishings", and "media".
Each 'collection' value for "page-overrides" contains two attributes that
identify the overridden pages, namely  "input-documents" or
"output-documents" plus "pages". The 'collection' value also contains one or
more attributes that are overrides for the identified pages, e.g. "sides"
and "media". When the overrides apply to some but not all  document copies,
the 'collection' value for "document-overrides" or "page-overrides" contains
the attribute of "document-copies".

This extension also supports subset finishing by adding a new Job Template
attribute "pages-per-subset", which specifies the number of pages per
subset. The extension allows finishing and other document attributes to be
applied to such subsets of pages.
This document is an IEEE-ISTO PWG Trial Use Standard.  For a definition of a
"PWG Trial Use Standard", see:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/pwg-process.pdf.
NOTE: THIS SPECIFICATION IS A "TRAIL USE" STANDARD.  FUTURE VERSIONS OF THIS
SPECIFICATION WILL DRAW ON IMPLEMENTATION EXPERIENCE AND MAY INTRODUCE
INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES. 
This document is available from:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/standards/pwg5100.4.pdf, .doc, .rtf

If you have comments or questions about this document, send them to
[email-masked] or [email-masked], rather than as a reply to this message
([email-masked]).  The [email-masked] DL is for announcements
only.

Thanks,
Tom Hastings