Subject: PMP> RE: IPP> Interpreter List for MIME registration [question to Epso n about Escape/P]

From: "Hastings, Tom N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 00:35:34 -0800

Harry,

Thanks for forwarding this message (attached) about the Epson Escape/P
printer language format (PDL).

The message is from a Sharp engineer that uses the Epson Escape/P printer
format in some of its products.  The message points out that the name listed
in the Printer MIB and our new table of printer languages may be incorrect. 

The IANA Printer Language Number registry and the Printer MIB RFC 1759
(March 1994) has the following entries:

          langEscapeP(9),
          langEpson(10),
           
with no company names included in the comments field.

This enum value 9 is in the Printer MIB V2 (currently in the IESG queue to
publish as an RFC) is shown as, so that it is attributed to Epson Corp.:

        langEscapeP(9),      -- Epson Corp.

The new table of printer language formats that we are compiling with the
intent to register with IANA has the following Proper English name (which
may be an error) and company as:

        Escape/P             Epson Corp.

Questions for Epson about enum value 9:

1. Is this enum a printer language format that you have defined?

2. What is the proper English name for this enum?

3. Do you have a public reference to its specification that we could
include?

4. Do you want us to register as a MIME media type along with a large number
of the other printer language formats that are in the Printer MIB.

5. For the MIB we have a problem changing a symbol, I believe for printmibV2
because it would be different from the symbol in RFC 1759.  However, we can
correct the comment to give it the proper English name.

While we are asking Epson about this Printer language format, we should also
ask about the next one in the Printer MIB (enum value 10) which is simply:

        langEpson(10),  

with no comment.  Same questions:

1. Is this enum a printer format that you have defined?

2. What is the proper English name for this enum?

3. Do you have a public reference to its specification?

4. Do you want us to register as a MIME media type along with a large number
of the other printer language formats that are in the Printer MIB.

5. For the MIB we have a problem changing a symbol, I believe for printmibV2
because it would be different from the symbol in RFC 1759.  However, we can
correct the comment to give it the proper English name.

BTW, I wonder if entry 9 and 10 had intended to be just a single 9 value
entry?  Perhaps, the symbol langEpson(10) should have just been a comment on
entry 9?  I hope we can find out whether or not enum 10 (printer language
number 10) is being used and for what.

Thanks,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 22:23
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: IPP> Interpreter List for MIME registration

Tom, I received this note from Sharp regarding registration of ESC-P
following the Maui meeting. How is the registration process going? Also, I
have a long list of additional PDLs  to request registration for. How do
you suggest I handle this?
----------------------------------------------
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
----------------------------------------------
----- Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 02/06/2001 11:21 PM -----
|--------+------------------------>
|        |          "Thomas, John"|
|        |          <jct@sharplabs|
|        |          .com>         |
|        |                        |
|        |          01/26/2001    |
|        |          02:38 PM      |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                       |
  |      To:     Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS                            |
  |      cc:     "Thomas, John" <[email-masked]>                       |
  |      Subject:     RE: IPP> Interpreter List for MIME registration     |
  |                                                                       |
  |                                                                       |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Harry -

I work for a Japanese printer vendor (Sharp) which uses the ESC/P printing
PDL in its Japanese domestic products.  Now, I COULD be wrong, but I think
that "Escape/P" PDL listed in your MIME registration enclosure on this
email
thread is incorrect.  Please check with a representative of Epson Corp.  I
THINK that the "ESC" stands for "Epson ..." and has no connection to an
ANSI
"escape" character.  If so, the IETF MIME encodings should pay Epson the
respect of getting it right.

John C Thomas
Member of the Technical Staff
Sharp Laboratories of America
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Lewis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 2:26 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: hastings; [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> Interpreter List for MIME registration

We reviewed the Interpreter list at the Jan IPP f2f meeting and made some
updates (see attachment). Maui Blue highlight indicates PDLs that are not
yet registered with IANA which the f2f participants feel are should be
registered. Tom Hastings is currently leading the registration campaign
and may be asking specific company reps for more information. We suspect
Tom may already have a more current list and request that he merge our f2f
changes.

----------------------------------------------
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
----------------------------------------------