Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Agreements on not numbering IEEE-ISTO drafts until approved (and file names to use in the meantime)

From: "Hastings, Tom N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:20:27 -0700

NOTE:  Please send any comments on this note to the [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> , instead of a Reply-ALL.  We don't want to use
PWG-ANNOUNCE for discussion threads, just announcements.
 
Harry has pointed out that we shouldn't number PWG standards with IEEE-ISTO
numbers, either in the file name or on the first page and page headers until
they are approved (past PWG Last Call).  Then we avoid leaving holes in the
numbering space and mis-leading readers into thinking that a draft is an
approved standard.  Also the file names can be more meaningful while they
are drafts.
 
At the PWG Semantic Model call today with a lot of attendees, we agreed to
remove the numbers from the next drafts and use the new file naming scheme
and the old copy should be deleted from the PWG site.  If a document isn't
being updated in the next couple of weeks, then the existing document should
be renamed on the PWG site.
 
On the first page and page headers, instead of the IEEE-ISTO number, put
5100.x for IPP documents and 510n.y for documents for new categories, such
as IPPFAX, that haven't any documents approved.
 
For a file naming scheme for drafts before they are approved, the file names
for PWG documents intending to become IEEE-ISTO documents, we agreed to the
following simple file naming scheme:
 
pwg-group-aaa-bbb-Vnn-yymmdd.doc, .pdf
pwg-group-aaa-bbb-Vnn-yymmdd-rev.doc, .pdf, red-lined versions
 
where:
pwg indicates a pwg document
group indicates the group and probably is the short DL name, i.e, ipp, sm,
ifx, psi, etc.
aaa-bbb are meaningful words or abbreviations (see below, but keep it fairly
short so the file URL don't line wrap in email)
Vnn is the version number starting at V01 and incrementing by one (authors
can increment the date for the same version while yymmdd is the year month
and day, so that they sort in ascending order by date.
 
No underlines, since they look like spaces in underlined URLs
No spaces, since they don't work in some systems.
 
In order to make the web site for each project point to a stable URL, each
document should be copies twice to the PWG site with the stable file name
being:
 
pwg-group-aaa-bbb-latest.doc, .pdf
 
where the rest of the file name before the latest is invariant with
successive versions and is the same pwg-group-aaa-bbb as the file name that
has the version number and the date.
 
(We need to update the IPP web page to use the durable URL and start posting
file twice so the the IPP web page is as good as the other PWG groups in
always pointing to the latest draft of each document).
 
Here are some suggested names for the existing IEEE-ISTO versions of PWG IPP
documents showing their existing URL and the suggested URL on the following
line:
 
1.       IEEE-ISTO 5100.5-2002 [doc-obj], "Internet Printing Protocol (IPP):
Document Object, Hastings, T. and P. Zehler, September 7, 2002, work in
progress, ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_DOC/IPP-Document-Object-020927.pdf>
new_DOC/IPP-Document-Object-020927.pdf 

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-V01-020927.pdf>
new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-V01-020927.pdf

2.       IEEE-ISTO 5100.6-2002 [not-srv],  "Distributed Notification
Service", Hastings, T., Lewis, H., and I. McDonald, October 3, 2002, work in
progress, ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_NOT/ipp-dist-not-service-021003-rev.pdf>
new_NOT/ipp-dist-not-service-021003-rev.pdf 

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_NOT/pwg-ipp-dist-not-service-V01-021003-rev.p
df> new_NOT/pwg-ipp-dist-not-service-V01-021003-rev.pdf 

3.       IEEE-ISTO 5100.7-2002 [prod-print2],  "Production Printing
Attributes - Set 2", Hastings, T., and D. Fullman, September 27, 2002, work
in progress, ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set2-020927.pdf>
new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set2-020927.pdf 

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set2-V01-020927.pdf>
new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set2-V01-020927.pdf 

4.       IEEE-ISTO 5100.8-2002 [color],  "Color and Imaging Attributes",
Hastings, T., and D. Fullman, October 8, 2002, work in progress,
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_COLOR/
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_COLOR/pwg-ipp-color-and-imaging-021008.pdf>
pwg-ipp-color-and-imaging-021008.pdf 

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_COLOR/
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_COLOR/pwg-ipp-color-and-imaging-D01-021008.pd
f> pwg-ipp-color-and-imaging-D01-021008.pdf 

5.       IEEE-ISTO 5100.9-2002 [actual] Internet Printing Protocol (IPP),
"-actual" attributes extension, Carney, D., and H. Lewis, work in progress,
October 18, 2002. 

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_ACT/pwg-ipp
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/new_ACT/pwg-ipp-actual-attributes-V01-021018.pdf>
-actual-attributes-V01-021018.pdf

And the following two have not yet been published at all and will be
published without numbers using the agreed scheme:

6.       IEEE-ISTO 5100.10-2002 [mime-parm]  Internet Printing Protocol
(IPP), "PWG MIME Standard parameters for Document Formats", McDonald, I, and
T. Hastings, work in progress 

ftp://ftp.pwg/org/pub/pwg/new_MIMEPARM/pwg-ipp-mime-parm-D01-yymmdd.pdf
<ftp://ftp.pwg/org/pub/pwg/new_MIMEPARM/pwg-ipp-mime-parm-D01-0210xx.pdf> 

7.       IEEE-ISTO 5100.11-2002 [pnsp], "Internet Printing Protocol (IPP):
Distributed Notification Service - Printer to Notification Server Protocol
(PNSP)", I. McDonald, <draft-mcdonald-ipp-dist-not-pnsp-00.txt>, work in
progress, September 25, 2002. 

ftp://ftp.pwg/org/pub/pwg/new_NOT/pwg-ipp-pnsp-D01-yymmdd.pdf
<ftp://ftp.pwg/org/pub/pwg/new_NOT/pwg-ipp-pnsp-D01-yymmdd.pdf>  

The IPPFAX documents should use the above scheme for the IPPFAX Protocol and
PDFax documents (and UIF put into historical), instead of using 5102.1 for
IPP FAX protocol, 5102.2 for UIF and 5102.3 for PDFax.  So their numbers
would be:
510n.x and file name, say, pwg-ifx-protocol-V12-yymmdd.doc and
pwg-ifx-pdfax-V03-yymmdd.doc
 
 On a related note to PWG process, Rick Seeler points out that according to
our PWG process, all of the above documents should be labeled as versions of
PWG Proposed Standards, not PWG Draft Standards.
 
Tom

 -----Original Message-----
From: Harry Lewis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 08:56
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Dennis Carney
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent ISTO drafts

Guys... I'm not sure we should be grabbing numbers (ex.5100.10) for DRAFTS!
The process should recognize that a draft may not be approved. The number
should probably be assigned AFTER approval. 
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM Printing Systems 
----------------------------------------------