Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> IPPFax Working Group Last Call for "PDF Image-Streamable Format - PDF/is" and "IPPFAX/1.0 Protocol" to move to Draft

From: "Gail Songer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:22:56 -0800

Do NOT send comments by a Reply-All to this email.  Instead, send comments
to the [email-masked] DL (to which you must be subscribed).

All,

This is a working group Last Call to move the specifications "PDF
Image-Streamable Format - PDF/is" and "IPPFAX/1.0 Protocol" to Draft.

PDF and Word versions of the drafts are posted at the pwg web site as:

      ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/pwg-ifx-pdfis-P04-021122.doc
      ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/pwg-ifx-pdfis-P04-021122.pdf
      ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/pwg-ifx-ippfax-P13-021122.doc
      ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/pwg-ifx-ippfax-P13-021122.pdf

The Last Call notice follows:

This is a formal request for final within the IPPFax Working Group in order
to move two documents to Draft Standard. These documents are "PDF
Image-Streamable Format - PDF/is"  and the "IPPFAX/1.0 Protocol". These are
IPP Working Group products, which have been discussed since early 2001. It
is the intent, once all comments have been address, to progress these
documents to Draft Standard.

Last Calls are for a minimum of 2 weeks. The period for the Working Group
comments will close on Dec 20, 2002(US Pacific time reference).

The relevant documents are:

             Title             : IPPFAX/1.0 Protocol
             Author(s)         : Thomas N. Hastings, Ira McDonald, Paul
Moore, Gail Songer, John Pulera, Rick Seeler
             Filename          :
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/pwg-ifx-ippfax-P13-021122.pdf
             Pages             : 69
             Date              : 22 Nov 2002

IPPFAX is used to provide a synchronous, reliable exchange of image
Documents between clients and servers.  The primary use envisaged of this
protocol is to provide a synchronous image transmission service for the
Internet.  Contrast this with the Internet FAX protocol specified in
[RFC2305] and [RFC2532] that uses the SMTP mail protocol as a transport.

The IPPFAX/1.0 protocol is a specialization of the IPP/1.1 [RFC2911],
[RFC2910] protocol supporting a subset of the IPP operations with increased
conformance requirements in some cases, some restrictions in other cases,
and some additional REQUIRED attributes.  The IPPFAX Protocol uses the
'ippfax' URL scheme (instead of the 'ipp' URL scheme) in all its
operations.  Most of the new attributes defined in this document MAY be
supported by IPP Printers as OPTIONAL extensions to IPP as well.  In
addition, IPPFAX/1.0 REQUIRES the support of the IPP Event Notification
mechanism [ipp-ntfy] using the 'ippget' Pull Delivery Method
[ipp-get-method].

An IPPFAX Printer object is called a Receiver.  A Receiver MUST support at
least the PDF/is S Profile as specified in [ifx-pdfis] which is defined for
the 'application/pdf' document format MIME type .  A Print System MAY be
configured to support both the IPPFAX and IPP protocols concurrently, but
each protocol requires separate Printer objects with distinct URLs.

             Title             : PDF Image-Streamable Format - PDF/is
             Author(s)         : Rick Seeler
             Filename          :
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/pwg-ifx-pdfis-P04-021122.pdf
             Pages             : 33
             Date              : 22 Nov 2002

PDF/is is an image document format intended for use by, but not limited to,
the IPPFAX protocol, which is used to provide a synchronous, reliable
exchange of image Documents between Senders and Receivers. PDF/is makes
reference to the PDF 1.4 Reference [pdf], which describes the PDF
representation of image data specified by the ITU-T Recommendations for
black-and-white facsimile (see [T.4], [T.6]), the ISO/IEC Specifications
for Digital Compression and Coding of Continuous-Tone Still Images (see
[jpeg]), and Lossy/Lossless Coding of Bi-Level Images (see [jbig2]), and
the general purpose Flate compression methods (see [RFC1950] and
[RFC1951]).

PDF/is is an image-only, streamable, subset specification of PDF 1.4 [pdf]
and, as such, follows all of the specification requirements of PDF.

Gail Songer
Peerless Systems Corp
650.358.8875