Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> IESG approved Printer MIB v2 and Finisher MIB for RFCs

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:37:29 -0700

Hi folks,                                           Friday (23 May 2003)

Great news!

After seven years of effort, the IESG has approved the Printer MIB v2
(Proposed Standard), Finisher MIB (Informational), and IANA Charset MIB
(Informational).

Copies of the IESG approval notes to the RFC Editor are appended below
(copied from the IETF Data Tracker search engine).

Thanks to the MIB experts, Bert Wijnen (IETF Ops & Mgmt Area Director),
Dave Harrington, and Juergen Schoenwaelder, for significant technical
improvements and clarifications to these MIBs over the last two years.
Thanks to Ned Freed (IETF Applications Area Director) for shepherding
these MIBs through the recent IETF 'last call'.

Thanks to Ron Bergman (Hitachi) and Harry Lewis (IBM) for their years
of patient effort as principal editors.  Thanks also to Ray Casterline
(Lighthouse Solutions), Gary Gocek (Veramark), and Randy Turner (2wire)
for their significant contributions in the past as co-editors.  Lastly,
thanks to all the many PWG members who contributed so much over the
years to the Printer MIB v2 and Finisher MIB.  Well done!

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2 and Finisher MIB
  High North Inc

PS - Next steps - The RFC Editor will (in several months) work on these
MIBs.  At that time, the current MIB editors will be contacted for a
final review for typographic or formatting errors.  There is a good
chance that these MIBs will be published as RFCs before the end of
calendar 2003!

PPS - So it turns out that the XML Schema translations of these MIBs
that I posted yesterday (part of the PWG WBMM project) are in fact based
on the final form of the MIBs.  Good timing, huh?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: IETF-Announce:;
Dcc: *******
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>,
 Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>,
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Protocol Action: Printer MIB v2 to Proposed Standard
-------------

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Printer MIB v2'
<draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Ted Hardie.
 
Technical Summary
 
    This document provides definitions of models and manageable objects
    for printing environments. The objects included in this MIB apply to
    physical, as well as logical entities within a printing device. This
    document obsoletes RFC 1759.

    The task of managing the production of printed documents can be divided
    into two overlapping pieces, the management of printing and the
    management of the printer. Printing encompasses the entire process of
    producing a printed document from generation of the file to be
    printed, selection of a printer, choosing printing properties,
    routing, queuing, resource management, scheduling, and final printing
    including notifying the user. Most of the printing process is
    outside the scope of the model presented here; only the management of
    the printer itself is covered in this document.
 
Working Group Summary
 
    This document was reviewed by the Internet Print Protocol Working Group
    but is not a product of that group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    Bert Wijnen and Ned Freed reviewed the document for the IESG.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: IETF-Announce:;
Dcc: *******
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>,
 Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>,
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Document Action: Printer Finishing MIB to Informational
-------------

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Printer Finishing MIB'
<draft-ietf-printmib-finishing-16.txt> as an Informational RFC.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Ted Hardie.
 
Technical Summary
 
  This document defines a MIB module for the management of printer
  finishing device subunits. The finishing device subunits applicable
  to this MIB are an integral part of the Printer System. This MIB
  does not apply to a Finisher Device that is not connected to a
  Printer System.

Working Group Summary
 
    This document was reviewed by the Internet Print Protocol Working Group
    but is not a product of that group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    Bert Wijnen and Ned Freed reviewed the document for the IESG.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: IETF-Announce:;
Dcc: *******
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>,
 Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>,
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Document Action: IANA Charset MIB to Informational
-------------

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IANA Charset MIB'
<draft-mcdonald-iana-charset-mib-02.txt> as an Informational RFC.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Ted Hardie.
 
Technical Summary
 
      This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
      for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
      This IANA Charset MIB is [intended to become] an IANA registry. In
      particular, a single textual convention 'IANACharset' is defined that
      may be used to specify charset labels in MIB objects. 'IANACharset'
      was extracted from Printer MIB v2 (work-in-progress). 'IANACharset'
      was originally defined (and mis-named) as 'CodedCharSet' in Printer
      MIB v1 (RFC 1759). A tool has been written in C, that may be used by
      IANA to regenerate this IANA Charset MIB, when future charsets are in
      accordance with the IANA Charset Registration Procedures (RFC 2978).
 
Working Group Summary
 
    This document was reviewed by the Internet Print Protocol Working Group
    but is not a product of that group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    Bert Wijnen and Ned Freed reviewed the document for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

  The copyright notice in the MIB module does not conform to the
  recently-adopted format for IANA-maintained MIB modules. The notice
  in the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY statement needs to
  be changed from:

      Copyright (C) The Internet Society (year). This
      version of this MIB module is part of RFC xxxx;
      see the RFC itself for full legal notices."

  to:

      Copyright (C) The Internet Society (year). The
      initial version of this MIB module was published
      in RFC xxxx. For full legal notices see the RFC
      itself or see: http://www.ietf.org/copyrights/ianamib.html"

------------------------------------------------------------------------