Subject: PMP> General Questions

From: "Bruno Gervasio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:03:38 -0300

Dear folks,

I have some questions about MIB and SNMP, and I couldn't find the
information I wanted anywhere, and I was hoping you could help me.

I wanted to develop an application that captured print jobs to network
printers, monitor those jobs on printers (if they were printed, how much was
printed, color, mode, etc), and monitor printers.

- Could I monitor those jobs throughout my network using MIBs and SNMP?
(Catching who sent the print, print size, color)
- Do printers using MIB send alerts to an application without the
application requesting it? (I don't want the application sending requests to
the printer every 10 minutes, I want the printer to send alerts like toner
load, paper load, lid open)

Thanks for your attention.

Bruno

---

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:23:48 -0800

Hi Bruno,

There are standard MIBs defined to do (most of) what you want.

But most printers do _not_ implement the Job Monitoring MIB
(RFC 2707), so you can't reliably monitor network printer jobs
with SNMP (without using vendor private MIBs).

Most printers _do_ implement Printer MIB (RFC 1759/3805).
But most printers only support registration by a monitoring 
client for SNMP traps (toner low, etc.) using vendor private 
MIBs or local system consoles.

If you're willing to poll a single object (prtAlertAllEvents)
in newer printers that support Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805), then 
you can check the prtAlertTable for the new alerts efficiently.
Many (but not most) network printers now implement RFC 3805.

Cheers,
- Ira (co-editor or Printer MIB v2)

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Bruno
Gervasio
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 9:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PMP> General Questions

Dear folks,

Bruno