Subject: PMP> Comments on Printer Port Monitor MIB 1.0 working draft dated Marc h 21, 2005

From: "Adams, Charles A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:46:17 -0800

1. ppmGeneralNaturalLanguage

Why does this MIB define the following object?

It seems like localization information will reside in multiple places,
prtGeneralCurrentLocalization/prtLocalizationTable and also
ppmGeneralNaturalLanguage.

Is it because this MIB needs to be independent of the printer MIB? Is it
expected this MIB may be implemented on a device that does not implement
the printer MIB?

2. ppmPortHrDeviceIndex - This seems to imply an hrDeviceTable entry is
needed for each port on the system. Is this the expected behavior? 
Or is this just the hrDeviceIndex of the printer? 
Or is the the hrDeviceIndex for the network card?

3. ppmPortSnmpCommunityName - This MIB is going to expose the SNMP read
community name? If the read community name is not already known by a
client, how can this value be read in the first place? 

4. Seems like returning this value over SNMPv1 is a security hole that
should not be so
glaring. This value should be defined to always return a “NULL” string
unless the transfer is done using SNMP encryption and authentication.

5. Rather than defining ppmPortSnmpCommunityName it might be useful to
specify 
ppmPortSnmpCommunityName as r/w. The MS applications that want to change the
community 
name would then have a standard way to do this.

Chuck Adams
West Coast Program Management Team/SEBU/XOG
Phone (503) 685-2589 Internal 8-875-2589
[email-masked]