Subject: PMP> Status rollup - in Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805)

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:55:11 -0800

Hi,

I suggest that the best guidance that the Port Mon MIB can
give to users about status rollup (including from subunits
like Channels) is in Section 2.2.13.2 "Overall Printer Status"
and Appendix E (see below) of Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805) and in
the accompanying Top 25 matrix.

Caution - it took four years to reach reasonable concensus
on the Top 25 matrix - this is _not_ a good topic to address
separately for Port Mon MIB.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]

---------------------------------------

Appendix E - Overall Printer Status Table

   The Status Table establishes a convention for the top 25 printer
   errors.  The table defines a suggested relationship between various
   printer states and the variables Printer hrDeviceStatus,
   hrPrinterStatus, hrPrinterDetectedErrorState, prtAlertGroup,
   prtAlertCode and various sub-unit status variables (prtInputStatus,
   prtOutputStatus, prtMarkerStatus, prtMediaPathStatus and
   prtChannelStatus).  This table is the recommended implementation of
   these variables.  It is provided to guide implementors of this MIB
   and users of the MIB by providing a sample set of states and the
   variable values that are expected to be produced as result of that
   state.  This information supplements that provided in Section
   2.2.13.2 "Overall Printer Status".  This is not an exhaustive list
   rather it is a guideline.

   The definition of PrtSubUnitStatusTC specifies that SubUnitStatus is
   an integer that is the sum of 5 distinct values/states: Availability,
   Critical, Non-Critical, On-line and Transitioning.  Thus when a non-
   critical alert or alerts are present the values for Availability,
   On-Line and Transitioning will be summed with the Non- Critical
   Alerts (8) value.

   The table was generated in landscape format and is located at
   ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/contributions/Top25Errors.pdf.