Subject: <postalInfo> element in contact management

From: Robert Burbidge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:38:50 +0100

Source :draft-ietf-provreg-epp-contact-04.txt

Quote from the <contact:info> command page 11
  ... 
  One or two <contact:postalInfo> elements that contain postal address
  information.  Two elements are provided so that address information
  can be provided in both internationalized and localized forms.  If an
  internationalized form is provided, it MUST be listed first and
  element content MUST be represented in a subset of UTF-8 that can be
  represented in the 7-bit US-ASCII character set.  If a localized form
  is provided, element content MAY be represented in unrestricted UTF-8.
  ...

If two <contact:postalInfo> elements are provided the above paragraph makes
it clear which one is the internationalized form and which is the localized
form. However, if only one <contact:postalInfo> element is supplied, is it
understood to be internationalized or localized?

A similar comment applies to <contact:create>. Our registry database has the
ability to store two postalInfo entries, and distinguishes between
internationalized and localized addresses. If <contact:create> supplies only
one <contact:postalInfo>, where do we put the data?

Thanks for any help you can give; prompt replies to earlier questions (even
idiot ones) has been much appreciated.

Rob Burbidge

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:33:41 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert Burbidge [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 5:39 AM
> To: Ietf-Provreg (E-mail)
> Subject: <postalInfo> element in contact management
> 
> 

That depends on the characters used.  If characters outside the ASCII range
are used, you have something that's localized.  ASCII only ->
internationalized.  This might be more clear if we add an attribute to the
<postalInfo> element; at least it would allow one to decide without having
to examine all of the data directly.

Disclaimer: again, we're still waiting for IESG feedback on the last call.
I can't change anything easily at this point, though I will queue this idea
for discussion with the IESG when they get back to us with comments.

-Scott-