Subject: <domain:info> command and <host>

From: Robert Burbidge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:48:42 +0100

Can someone clarify the <host> return tag on the <domain:info> command? In
"draft-ietf-provreg-epp-domain-04.txt" page 11, it is stated that <host>
records contain "the fully qualified names of subordinate host objects that
exist under this superordinate domain object".  I can't see the point of
this or how it can be achieved.

Given the following hypothetical scenario:

* The registry is for the ".tld" top level domain
* A client has successfully created the domain "wibble.tld" along with valid
nameservers etc.
* The client performs a <domain:info> query on "wibble.tld".

How can the registry return any information at all that relates to
subordinate objects of "wibble.tld"? Presumably it has delegated management
of that domain to the domain's owner via the registrar, and presumably the
owners DNS system is the only place that holds the definitive subordinate
object listing. Or have I missed  something?

In contrast, I see no problems with returning <ns> objects, as it is clear
that the registry may well have name server information that relates to the
domain. In fact, given the way that <domain:create> works, it's very likely.

Thanks
Rob Burbidge

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:41:47 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert Burbidge [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 11:49 AM
> To: Ietf-Provreg (E-mail)
> Subject: <domain:info> command and <host>
> 
> 

You've missed something.  The host draft states (section 1.1) that host
objects have a subordinate relationship to a domain object.  So, the
registry knows about all hosts in the repository created as children of
"wibble.tld", such as "ns1.wibble.tld".  The <info> command gives the client
the option to retrieve only subordinate hosts like ns1.wibble.tld, only
delegated hosts (the name servers to which wibble.tld has been delegated),
both delegated and subordinate hosts, or neither.  There is no requirement
for a client to register _all_ of the hosts that might exist in the
wibble.tld zone.

So, if you're asking if folks MUST create hosts objects for all wibble.tld
hosts, the answer is no.  Some server operator may come up with creative
things to do with host objects other than using them as name servers, and if
they get registered they'll be visible via the domain's <info> command.
However, the domain <info> command will not generally know anything about
hosts that exist only in the wibble.tld zone.

-Scott-