Subject: [ietf-provreg] okay, now for the next item(s)

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:21:20 -0400

As Ted has mentioned, the IESG will be considering our core documents 
real soon.

We have two other outstanding items, okay three.

One is to clean up the milestones - a couple on the web page should 
have been deleted.

Two is that alternative transports is an issue that is essentially 
dead in the WG.  Not saying that alternative transports are illegal, 
forbidden, or otherwise politically untenable, just that there hasn't 
been enough energy to date to work on them as a WG item.  I don't 
foresee any lightening bolts in this area hitting soon, and 
considering that we just have one more work item, it might be that 
the WG is shut down without a second transport document.  (See my 
note below about what shutting down the group means.)

Three is the remaining WG draft:
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-provreg-epp-ext-01.txt

In the next few days-weeks I anticipate a last call on this document, 
probably at least overlapping with the RIPE meeting next week.  (Jaap 
and I will be there, we can collect comments in person.)  When we 
pass this up, it will go as Informational.

What does it mean to close a WG?  It means that there are no formal 
document discussions, no IETF in person meetings, no nagging chairs 
whining about process and consensus.  However, you still have a 
mailing list, so long as there is a volunteer to maintain it.  (I'm 
not saying that cafax.se has hinted that it would pull the list 
service, but it is something to keep in mind, someone might want to 
be ready to take it over if need be.)

I'm sure there will be traffic on the list after the group closes 
down.  I'll stay subscribed for reference purposes, for one.  On this 
list implementation issues can be discussed and collected until it is 
time to progress from Proposed to Draft Standard.  When that time 
comes, a new WG will be formed to do the needed document review - and 
I trust that the formation of that will be a lot easier than the 
formation of the current one (there'll be a pre-existing charter to 
copy).

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Note to pilots: a three-point landing SHOULD NOT include a wing.

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 07:47:32 -0400

> ...that being said, can you add this to the document real soon now? 
> Jaap and I are at the RIPE meeting and talked about the document.  We 
> plan to issue a last call now so we can maybe get some folks to give 
> us input here.
> 
> Either way we'd like to start the unofficial semi-formal last call by 
> tomorrow, preferably with the extra diagram & text. ;)

I think I can get an updated document in today.  I'll let you know if that
doesn't happen.

-Scott-