Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] provreg wg responses to IESG comments

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:54:49 -0400

Trimmed the cc list a bit:

>I think it's important to be up front with the purpose of this element,
>which is to disclose that data might be used to contact individuals for
>marketing purposes.  Softening the text to make this less obvious sounds
>like a bad move to me.  It might help me understand where you're coming from
>if you explain why you think that disclosing direct marketing practices is a
>bad idea.

Given that we want the core to be extensible, albeit focused for now 
on domains, I think we want to be inclusive of other ideas.  I also 
think that the description as written accurately reflects the 
consensus of the group when it comes the adoption of what was in P3P 
as it relates to us.

Judging from omissions in the old DNS documents, it's better to 
mention as much as possible even if you think that doing so might 
lead to bad ideas.  Bad ideas that stem from unclear sections of text 
are much harder to debate and fix.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

It's true, my last college class really was "Introduction to Ada."

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:44:14 -0700

Thanks for the message and all of your work on the documents.  I've 
asked that
these documents go on to the next IESG telechat agenda.  Because one of 
the
original discuss comments was from a member of the IESG who is no longer
serving, current practice requires that these appear on an agenda.   
This is
not a complete re-ballot of the issue; Jon, in this case, will 
represent Scott Bradner
in evaluating the document and responses given by the working group.  
I've
asked the continuing IESG members to review the responses as quickly
as possible.
			thanks again,
						Ted Hardie