Subject: [ietf-provreg] EPP over UDP for Domain Availability Checking?

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:33:53 -0400

I just spent a few minutes writing client and server software in perl to
send and receive EPP <check> commands and responses.  It's very doable.
Does anyone think that they might find it useful to have a documented way to
use EPP over UDP for domain availability checking?

I'm thinking that registries might find it useful to provide a UDP service
for high-volume, no-session-required domain checking.  People that want only
availability information might find a UDP-based client more useful than
whois.

-Scott-

---

From: Jens Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:38:47 +0200

>availability information might find a UDP-based client more useful than
Sure, but this does also simplify DoS attacks against registries that 
have to perform availability checks using their SQL backend. But it 
cannot hurt to have such a spec handy, even if for internal purposes 
only :-)

Best regards,
-jens

---

From: Ed Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:35:06 -0400

First, one has to presume that this is external to the PROVREG WG
effort.  (The charter would forbid it on a number of grounds.) 
Nevertheless, this ought to be considered - and recall that this list
will outlive the WG.  (It's not a matter of scope for the list.)

Congestion control was one of the issues that we (PROVREG WG) got hit
with (in the IESG comments).  But with this being UDP, I don't think
that congestion is a concern.  (UDP is UDP, no retransmission.  Unless
something else is screwed up in design - no amplification of traffic
load.)

Who gets to be the client?  I would assume there are a lot more who
would want this data than just the registrars.

How does this fit next to what the CRISP WG is chartered to do?  The
difference between transports (UDP vs. connection oriented) is
significant.

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:27:58 -0400

> difference between transports (UDP vs. connection oriented) is

I have asked for time to present a udp transport for IRIS in the CRISP 
working group in Minneapolis.  One of the uses could be for domain 
availability.

-andy