Subject: Re: Ethernet Question

From: D Siva Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:30:21 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
  I want to know whether the following is consistent with IETFdrafts
in the context of VPWS.

  Attachment circuit (AC) used is VLAN. So CE adds VLAN tag for every
frame from customer and ACid is VLAN id.

  At PE, during preprocessing (NSP), the VLAN tag (ACid) added at CE,
will be stripped off, but is used to determine PW label. Thus the
frame sent over PW is customer's frame with PWlabel. Also, for every
AC, there is one pseudowire and vice-versa.

  Using PWlabel, at egress PE, frame is forwarded to appropriate AC
after adding ACid (VLAN tag) which will get stripped off at remote CE
which forwards customer frame intact.

I would like to know whether ACid above can be treated as Service
Delimited Tag.

Also, are there any disadvantages for the above method?

What are the advantages of VPWS over VPLS?

thanks,
Siva.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Eric Rosen wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:02:39 -0400
> From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
> To: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
> Cc: 'Ali Sajassi' <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [PWE3] Ethernet Question
>
> Most of these  questions really have to do with how  a service provider sets
> up an  ethernet-based VPWS service  to do what  the customer needs  done.  I
> think that is beyond the scope of the drafts; there are many ways a provider
> can set up his service, using either tagged mode or raw mode.
>
> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3
>

---

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:26:43 -0700

Hi,

I think in the example you have given the VLAN tag is used as 
service multiplexing tag. This is a good example for CE-based
VPLS, using only provider's VPWS service .

-Shahram

>-----Original Message-----
>From: D Siva Kumar [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 1:00 AM
>To: Eric Rosen
>Cc: Shahram Davari; 'Ali Sajassi'; [email-masked]'