Subject: PWE3 and Congestion

From: Sasha Vainshtein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:31:55 +0200

Eric and all,
My gut feeling after re-reading the PWE3 congestion draft is that it clearly
demonstrates one very important point: TCP-like responsiveness of the PWs to
congestion is nearly impossible (or the price is too high to make it
feasible).
 
If this is correct, the important question,IMHO, is: Just how helpful is a
PWE3 congestion detection/control mechanism that responds much slower that
TCP? 
 
Forcing the PWE3 traffic to back off after the TCP traffic has been
throttled already does not look nice. And it may just happen that early
throttling of the TCP traffic combined with PWE3 mechanisms for avoiding
false congestion detection would result in no PWE3 congestion ever being
detected...
My 2c.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
With best regards,
                          Sasha Vainshtein
email:   [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
phone:  +972-3-7659993 (office)
            +972-8-9254948 (home)
            +972-58-674833 (cellular)