Subject: MPLS over GRE and IPsec for PWE3s

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:06:24 -0700

Rahul,

from the current version of the draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-04 ....

"In the protocol specified herein, the pseudowire demultiplexor field is an
MPLS label.  Thus the packets which are transmitted from one end of the
pseudowire to the other are MPLS packets.  Unless the pseudowire endpoints
are immediately adjacent, these MPLS packets must be transmitted through a
PSN tunnel.  Any sort of PSN tunnel can be used, as long as it is possible
to transmit MPLS packets through it.  The PSN tunnel can itself be an LSP,
but it could equally well be an IP tunnel, a GRE tunnel, an IPsec tunnel, or
any other sort of tunnel which can carry MPLS packets. Procedures for
setting up and maintaining the PSN tunnels are outside the scope of this
document."

As i said your proposal has good merit, it's just that when we included 
the above section we did not think it was necessary to repeat existing 
RFCs in this one.
if you think that the above section need more clarification we can 
probably convince the PWE3 chairs to bend the last call rules and
make some minor modifications to it.

Thanks.
Luca

---

From: Rahul Aggarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:54:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi Luca,

Thanks for the comment. Please see inline:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Luca Martini wrote:

> As i said your proposal has good merit,

That's good to hear :)

it's just that when we included
> the above section we did not think it was necessary to repeat existing

True. I agree that the posted draft is a bit verbose. That said it does
specify procedures that imho should be spelled out and are not captured in
the above text.

> make some minor modifications to it.

Ideally a separate section on PW over IP in
draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocl-04.txt will suffice. I will get back to
you soon with the text.

Regards,
rahul