Subject: draft-ietf-pwer-arch-06.txt security section comments 1/2

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:29:47 +0000

<Russ>

    Section 10, 4th paragraph says:

       IPSec MAY provide authentication, integrity, non-repudiation, and
       confidentiality of data transferred between two PEs. It cannot
       provide the equivalent services to the native service.

    IPsec does not, and cannot, provide non-repudiation.  IPsec can be used
    to provide integrity, authentication, confidentiality, and access
    control.

    Once this correction is made, I am concerned that the IPsec-related
    access controls will be confused with the access controls being
    discussed in the last paragraph of section 10.  I belive some
    clarifying language is needed.

<Steve>

10: IPsec does not provide non-repudiation.

=======================================================================

I propose that we make the following changes to section 9 (security section)

=============
<    IPSec MAY provide authentication, integrity, non-repudiation, and
<    confidentiality of data transferred between two PEs. It cannot
<    provide the equivalent services to the native service.
---
 >    IPSec MAY provide authentication, integrity, and confidentiality of
 >    data transferred between two PEs. It cannot provide the equivalent
 >

=============

<    the data path. The access controls that are in place in the PE to
<    protect and validate its configuration will be sufficient to ensure
<    that the NSP performs as expected.
---
 >    the data path. A PE designed and managed to best current practise
 >    will have controls in place that protect and validate its
 >    configuration and these will be sufficient to ensure that the NSP
 >    behaves as expected.

- Stewart