Subject: IANA values draft

From: "Vach Kompella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:36:08 -0800

Luca, Mark,

Under the interface parameters section, there is an inconsistency:

<draft-ietf-pwe3-iana-allocation-02.txt> says

The interface parameter ID is assigned as follows:
   Parameter   ID Length    Description

       0x01         4       Interface MTU in octets.
       0x02         4       Maximum Number of concatenated ATM cells.
       0x03   up to 82      Optional Interface Description string.
       0x04         4       CEP [8] Payload Bytes.
       0x05         2       CEP options.
       0x06         2       Requested VLAN ID
       0x07         4       CEP/TDM bit-rate
       0x08         2       Frame-Relay DLCI Length
       0x09         2       Fragmentation indicator

<draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-05.txt> says

     - Interface MTU

       A 2 octet value indicating the MTU in octets. This is the Maximum
       Transmission Unit, excluding encapsulation overhead, of the ...

     - Requested VLAN ID.

       An Optional 16 bit value indicating the requested VLAN ID. This
       parameter MAY be used by an PE that is incapable of rewriting the
...

Note that both these fields are 16 bits, but the interface parameter
length as given by the IANA allocation draft is 4 and 2.  Does the IANA
specification for ID length include the parameter type and length?
Similar confusion for FR DLCI, max concat ATM cells, CEP payload bytes,
CEP options.

It might be better to set the interface parameter length field to
(option length + 2) to cover the type/length, unambiguously.  Make sure
to specify that in the description field, e.g., (desc str length + 2,
upto 82).

Vach Kompella
IP Division, Alcatel
[email-masked]
+1 650 237-5152

---

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:21:43 -0700

yes I see the issue.
I'll fix it.

here is the fixed part:

   0x01         4       Interface MTU in octets
   0x02         4       Maximum Number of concatenated ATM cells
   0x03   up to 82      Optional Interface Description string
   0x04         4       CEP [8] Payload Bytes
   0x05         4       CEP options
   0x06         4       Requested VLAN ID
   0x07         6       CEP/TDM bit-rate
   0x08         4       Frame-Relay DLCI Length
   0x09         4       Fragmentation indicator
   0x0A        4       FCS retension indicator

the text in the control document referring to this is :
"The Length field is defined as the length of the interface parameter
including the parameter id and length field itself. "

this seems clear to me .....

Thanks.
Luca