Subject: How to proceed with the PWE3 TDM Control Protocol Extensions draf t

From: Sasha Vainshtein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 05:17:28 +0200

Hi all,
Following my presentation at the Seoul PWE3 session today and
a side discussion with Luca, I'd like to present the following
questions for the WG feedback:

Q1. Should the PWE3 TDM Control Prorocol Extensions draft
    (draft-vainshtein-pwe3-tdm-control-protocol-extensi-00.txt)
    be progressed separately or should it be merged with the 
    PWE3 IANA allocation and Control Protocol drafts?
    I would like to clarify that setup of TDM PWs does not 
    assume any changes in the existing Control Protocol, just
    allocation of new code points for the TDM-related service 
    types one new interface parameter (TDM Options) and 
    some new LDP status codes. It also requires some explanation
    on how these parameters are used for setup of TDM PWs.
    I'd also like to clarify that no new status TLV has been defined
    or used.
    Hence if the "merged" option is preferable, most work would be done
    done in the IANA allocation draft, but it would be also nice to
    add some reference to this work in the Control Protocol document.   

Q2. Should setup of structure-agnostic and structure-aware TDM
    PWs be treated in the same way or should it be split
    along the "Standards Track TDM PWs" vs. the "Informational
    TDM PWs" demarcation line? 
    The 1st option would mean that the current PWE3 TDM control
    protocol draft would be merged with the IANA allocation draft
    in its entirety, while the 2nd option would mean that only 
    SAToP-related components would be merged, while setup of CESoPSN and
    TDMoIP PWs would be treated in a separate draft (presumably also
    Informational). The decision would mainly affect allocation of 
    the service type code points.

Your timely feedback would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
                           Sasha