Subject: VC TYPE 5 Support

From: Ashok Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:34:53 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,
 
I want to know if there are products in market that support VC TYPE 5 as mentioned in the pwe3 drafts. 
My initial understanding seems to indicate that: 
 
CISCO's AToM does not support VC TYPE 5 (apparent from the recent AToM documents)
 
Riverstone also does not support VC TYPE 5 but achieves this (Port based L2 FEC support)  by using VC TYPE 4 (Ethernet VLAN) only, requiring hybrid port/trunk port/access port vlan configuration.
 
Only Juniper seems to have support for VC TYPE 5, as mentioned in the requirements (configuring Ethernet ccc) in its configuration documents.
 
Any comments from the group? Does it imply that purpose of VC TYPE 5 can even be achieved with VC TYPE 4 as done by some vendors? Please correct me if I am going wrong anywhere.
 
Regards,

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.

---

From: "Dmitry Bokotey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:29:04 -0800

Where did you get this information only Juniper supports VC TYPE 5

Cisco does support vc-type 5 port transparency.

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ashok
Singh
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 12:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PWE3] VC TYPE 5 Support

Hello All,

I want to know if there are products in market that support VC TYPE 5 as
mentioned in the pwe3 drafts. 

CISCO's AToM does not support VC TYPE 5 (apparent from the recent AToM
documents)

Riverstone also does not support VC TYPE 5 but achieves this (Port based L2
FEC support)  by using VC TYPE 4 (Ethernet VLAN) only, requiring hybrid
port/trunk port/access port vlan configuration.

Only Juniper seems to have support for VC TYPE 5, as mentioned in the
requirements (configuring Ethernet ccc) in its configuration documents.

Any comments from the group? Does it imply that purpose of VC TYPE 5 can
even be achieved with VC TYPE 4 as done by some vendors? Please correct me
if I am going wrong anywhere.

Regards,

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
 <http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html> Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File
online. File on time.

---

From: Ashok Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:16:50 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for your response! It was my inference based on my initial understanding of the configuration and technical documentation on Ethernet over MPLS by CISCO (AToM),Juniper (Junos 6.0) and Riverstone, which as I now understand, was wrong.
 
Could you give me some pointers in the CISCO AToM (or any other) documents which discuss/mention Raw mode support? I got this idea of CISCO not supporting Raw mode because in all the AToM documents, while discussing Ethernet over MPLS, configuring VLAN using "encapsulation vlan dot1q xxx" has been mentioned as a necessary step. This, in my understanding, indicates that the received L2 packet processing at the PE will be based on the (Service Delimitting) VLAN Tag (or in other words, only VC TYPE: Ethernet VLAN support). I could not find documents talking about the VC TYPE 4 support or port based L2 FEC support for that matter, in CISCO AToM documents.
 
About Juniper (Junos 6.0),  the case that I was talking about is that apart from "encapsulation vlan-ccc" for configuring a PE interface, it also has "encapsulation ethernet-ccc" option where it must be using Raw mode and supporting port based L2 FEC (the interface has not been configured as a VLAN interface). Reference for this is 
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos60/feature-guide-60/download/fg-l2circuit.pdf, (page 6)
 
Do help me in case I am lacking in my understanding of the concepts or am wrong anywhere. 
 
Regards,

Dmitry Bokotey <[email-masked]> wrote:v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
Where did you get this information only Juniper supports VC TYPE 5

 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ashok Singh
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 12:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PWE3] VC TYPE 5 Support

Hello All,

 

 

 

 

 

Regards,

Do you Yahoo!?

---

From: "Dmitry Bokotey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:40:36 -0800

Ashok check this links out, hope this will make more sense to you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/products_module_config
uration_guide_chapter09186a00801ea619.html

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/ong/15400/r46docs/r46mlios/e
ompls.htm#18213

http://www.cisco.com/global/CN/learning/training/citgq3/pdf/5-atom.pdf

Dmitry Bokotey

  _____  

From: Ashok Singh [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 11:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [PWE3] VC TYPE 5 Support

Thank you for your response! It was my inference based on my initial
understanding of the configuration and technical documentation on Ethernet
over MPLS by CISCO (AToM),Juniper (Junos 6.0) and Riverstone, which as I now
understand, was wrong.

Could you give me some pointers in the CISCO AToM (or any other) documents
which discuss/mention Raw mode support? I got this idea of CISCO not
supporting Raw mode because in all the AToM documents, while discussing
Ethernet over MPLS, configuring VLAN using "encapsulation vlan dot1q xxx"
has been mentioned as a necessary step. This, in my understanding, indicates
that the received L2 packet processing at the PE will be based on the
(Service Delimitting) VLAN Tag (or in other words, only VC TYPE: Ethernet
VLAN support). I could not find documents talking about the VC TYPE 4
support or port based L2 FEC support for that matter, in CISCO AToM
documents.

About Juniper (Junos 6.0),  the case that I was talking about is that apart
from "encapsulation vlan-ccc" for configuring a PE interface, it also has
"encapsulation ethernet-ccc" option where it must be using Raw mode and
supporting port based L2 FEC (the interface has not been configured as a
VLAN interface). Reference for this is 
 
<http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos60/feature-guide-60/dow
nload/fg-l2circuit.pdf>
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos60/feature-guide-60/down
load/fg-l2circuit.pdf, (page 6)

Do help me in case I am lacking in my understanding of the concepts or am
wrong anywhere. 

Regards,

Dmitry Bokotey <[email-masked]> wrote: 

 

  _____  

Hello All,

Regards,

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?