Subject: Glitches in draft-ietf-pwe3-iana-allocation-02.txt

From: Toby Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:31:07 -0500

Hi,

There seem to be some discrepancies in this document compared to what's 
stated in its companion, draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-05.txt.

In section 5.4, pwe3-control states:

"The Length field is defined as the length of the interface parameter 
including the parameter id and length field itself."

The first few interface parameters defined in pwe3-iana-allocation seem 
to obey this, but then go off the rails at some point.  Its current 
contents:

    The interface parameter ID is assigned as follows:
    Parameter   ID Length    Description

        0x01         4       Interface MTU in octets.
        0x02         4       Maximum Number of concatenated ATM cells.
        0x03   up to 82      Optional Interface Description string.
        0x04         4       CEP [8] Payload Bytes.
        0x05         2       CEP options.
        0x06         2       Requested VLAN ID
        0x07         4       CEP/TDM bit-rate
        0x08         2       Frame-Relay DLCI Length
        0x09         2       Fragmentation indicator

Looks like beginning at CEP options (0x05), all length values are 2 
bytes too short.  The correct table should be:

    The interface parameter ID is assigned as follows:
    Parameter   ID Length    Description

        0x01          4      Interface MTU in octets.
        0x02          4      Maximum Number of concatenated ATM cells.
        0x03   up to 82      Optional Interface Description string.
        0x04          4      CEP [8] Payload Bytes.
        0x05          4      CEP options.
        0x06          4      Requested VLAN ID
        0x07          6      CEP/TDM bit-rate
        0x08          4      Frame-Relay DLCI Length
        0x09          4      Fragmentation indicator

Although this all raises the question of why the IANA document need 
discuss the length of these parameters at all, when they're adequately 
described in pwe3-control already.

Regards,
Tob