Subject: RE: [PWE3] VCCV-12 last call

From: "O'Connor, Don" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:22:01 -0600

My reading of VCCV - 12 is that 

1) It only supports BFD Base and not MPLS BFD. It can be noted that draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-03.txt. is not listed among the references

2) It is only possible to negotiate (by LDP) one CV protocol - ICMP Ping, LSP Ping, or BFD (Base). So it is not possible to support MPLS BFD which enables concurrent use of LSP Ping and BFD

Is my understanding accurate ? 

Regards

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Stewart Bryant [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 7:35 AM
To: pwe3
Subject: [PWE3] VCCV-12 last call

This is the start of last call for

Pseudo Wire Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-12.txt

last call will end 6th February.

There are a couple of issues that I have with regard to
IANA policy that is raised by this draft, but I will
ask my questions in another thread.

Regards

Stewart

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:15:22 -0500

On Jan 23, 2007, at 7:22 PM, O'Connor, Don wrote:

> 1) It only supports BFD Base and not MPLS BFD. It can be noted that  
> draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-03.txt. is not listed among the references

	BFD-base is only required because the bootstrapping rules required to
setup BFD/VCCV are single-hop style.

> 2) It is only possible to negotiate (by LDP) one CV protocol - ICMP  
> Ping, LSP Ping, or BFD (Base). So it is not possible to support  
> MPLS BFD which enables concurrent use of LSP Ping and BFD

	You do not negotiate anything per se; you advertise capabilities for
VCCV. You may advertise none, one or all of the different CC/CV  
combinations,
which means you are willing to accept any of those combinations  
(within the
rules stipulated in the draft). The receiving side is then free to send
any of those combinations (within the rules stipulated in the draft),  
but
once one is successfully sent (and acked), no others are allowed, and no
"re-negotiation" is allowed without bringing down the PW.  The latter  
comes
specifically from the rules stipulated in RFC 4447.

	--Tom