Subject: [PWE3] draft-ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map - LAST CALL

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:14:50 +0000

This is the start of last call for

Pseudo Wire (PW) OAM Message Mapping

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map-05
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map-05.txt

Last call will end 10th April 2007 (I have added time
to the usual two weks to allow for IETF and Easter)

Please read the draft and comment to the list.

Thanks

Stewart

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: "O'Connor, Don" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:50:49 -0500

The current draft does not address Ethernet including Ethernet AC procedures. Section 12.3 on Ethernet Management indicates that

     "At this point in time, inband Ethernet OAM standards are being
     specified in the International Telecommunications Union
     Telecommunications (ITU-T) and the Institute of Electrical and
     Electronics Engineers (IEEE). However, it will take some time
     before they are widely deployed. Therefore, this document
     specifies only the procedures for mapping a defect due to a
     Ethernet physical layer fault. Defects on a remote Ethernet AC or
     defects in a PW cannot be mapped back to the local Ethernet
     network."

ITU SG 13 approved Y.1731 for Ethernet OAM last year. IEEE 802.1ag was recently approved for IEEE Sponsor Ballot. This includes the Ethertype allocation. 

So there is no reason that OAM Message Map cannot support Ethernet. For example it should be possible to support Y.1731 AIS. 

I do not believe that this draft should complete last call until it supports Ethernet AC procedures

Regards

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Stewart Bryant [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 8:15 AM
To: pwe3
Subject: [PWE3] draft-ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map - LAST CALL

Thanks

Stewart