Subject: [PWE3] First version of the first MPLS-TP documents

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:41:48 +0200

All,

the MPLS-TP work that started after the ITU-T acceptance of the JWT
advice to work with the iETF, using IETF processes, to create a MPLS
Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) within the IETF MPLS architecture.

This effort has now produced a set of documents available in their
first versions. In IETF terminology the documents are still
"individual drafts", but will after discussion, review and updates
hopefully become working groups documents.

First I'd like to thank all the people that has put in efforts to
make this possible, we are actually a bit better of than we planned.
Thanks to all editors and contributing authors!

When accepting documents as working group documents there are two
criteria that working groups are looking at:

- is this document addressing a problem that needs to be solved
- is this document a good starting point in solving this problem

The MPLS-TP documents are in some aspects special with respect to
the IETF process, the JWT produced guidelines on which documents
that needs to be included in the MPLS-TP. The MEAD team has since
"improved and extended" the document list. This makes us pretty
sure that the documents address problems that needs to be solved.

However it is usually beneficial to have documents reviewed early in
order to create a the starting point needed for solving the problem.

We therefore now invite both IETF working groups (CCAMP, MPLS, L2VPN
and PWE3), the MPLS Interoperability (MEAD) team, the JWT and the
ITU-T Ad Hoc MPLS group to participate in this review.

The newly produced documents are:

1. A Framework for MPLS in Transport Networks
     <draft-blb-mpls-tp-framework-00.txt>

2. MPLS Generic Associated Channel
    <draft-bocci-pwe3-mpls-tp-ge-ach-00.txt>

3. MPLS TP Network Management Requirements
    <draft-gray-mpls-tp-nm-req-00.txt>

4. MPLS-TP Requirements
    <draft-jenkins-mpls-mpls-tp-requirements-00.txt>

5. MPLS-TP OAM Analysis
    <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-analysis-00.txt>

6. Multiprotocol Label Switching Transport Profile Survivability
    Framework
    <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-survive-fwk-00.txt>

7. Assignment of the Generic Associated Channel Header Label (GAL)
    <draft-vigoureux-mpls-tp-gal-00.txt>

8. Requirements for OAM in MPLS Transport Networks
    <draft-vigoureux-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-00.txt>

9. JWT Report on MPLS Architectural Considerations for a Transport
    Profile
    <draft-bryant-mpls-tp-jwt-report-00.txt>

    Note: This is a document is created to an easily referencable and
    permanent storage for the JWT conclusions and advice. The major
    part of the document are the JWT slides, since it is not possible
    to change the slides it is only the commentary part of the
    document that is possible to comment on.

It is always possible to to send comments on these documents to the
MPLS working group mailing list, for document #2 (The Generic MPLS
Associated Channel) comments could also go to the PWE3 mailing list.

However, we are setting up a dedicated mailing list for the MPLS-TP
discussions:

[email-masked]

To subscribe to this list send a mail to [email-masked],
and confirm by replying or visiting the indicated web-page.

The easiest way to find all the MPLS-TP documents is to use the IETF
ID Tracker:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/

and put "mpls-tp" in the filename field.

There is also a 10th document that people from the JWT has pointed
out to us would be beneficial if it did go through the same review
process.

10. "EXP field" renamed to  "CoS Field"
     <draft-ietf-mpls-cosfield-def-04.txt>

The document has been progressed within the IETF as a normal MPLS
document, and has passed MPLS working group last call. However, we
need to run it through working group last call in the working groups
with RFCs that is updated by this document. The ITU-T Ad Hoc MPLS
group will be invited to participate in this wg last call. A mail
will go out shortly with details of this working group last call.

The process in the future will be that when a MPLS-TP document is
published or updated a note will be sent to the relevant working
group (this is an automated IETF process), this note will also be
forwarded to the ITU-T Ad Hoc MPLS group.

Receiving such a note indicates that it is time to review and
comment on the document. When a document goes into working group
last call the mail initiating the last call will also be sent to the
ITU-T Ad Hoc MPLS group. Receiving such a last call REQUIRES, as per
the agreement within the JWT, that the ITU-T respond formally,
indicating either that the document is accepted or indicating
necessary changes.

To test this process we'd appreciate very much if the ITU-T
treated the upcoming last call on this document the same way.

/Loa (chair of the MEAD team)

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                            [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3