Subject: [PWE3] FW: [mpls] working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-req-01.txt

From: "Cohen, Yoav (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:24:46 +0200

Kam, Scott, Eric, and all,

I have few LC comments on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-req-01

General: 
The separation between requirements of the MPLS-TP network elements
(NEs)  and from the Network Management Entity is not always clear. It
would be useful to specifically note which requirements apply to NEs,
etc.

Section 4:
1. "Retrieval of DCN network parameters to ensure compatible
functioning, e.g. packet size, timeouts, quality of service, window
size, etc.; "
What is the usage of "retrieval" in this context. Shouldn't the function
support configuration of these parameters?

Section 5.1: 
1. "The MPLS-TP NE MUST support supervision of the OAM mechanisms that
are deployed for supporting the OAM requirements defined in [3]."
The requirements are too general. It is not clear what the supervision
function should explicitly perform.

2.    " . Supervision of looping check functions used to detect loops 
            in the data-plane forwarding path (which result in non-
            delivery of traffic, wasting of forwarding resources and 
            unintended self-replication of traffic); 

          . Supervision of the detection of failure in the sequence of 
            a protocol exchange (e.g. automatic protection switching 
            protocol); "
 Again, what is explicitly required from the supervision function?  

Section 5.2:
1. "A Fault Cause indicates a limited interruption of the required
transport function."
There is no formal definition of Fault Cause. It would be useful to add
the definition of Fault Cause to section 1.1.

2. "The failure declaration and clearing MUST be time stamped. The
time-stamp SHALL indicate the time at which the fault cause is 
        activated at the input of the fault cause persistency (i.e.
defect-to-failure integration) function, and the time at which 
        the fault cause is deactivated at the input of the fault cause
persistency function. "
It is not clear who is the target of this requirement i.e. MPLS-TP NE or
a Management System Entity?

Section 5.3.2: "An MPLS-TP NE MUST provide alarm suppression
functionality that prevents the generation of superfluous alarms. "
It would probably be better to note that alarms resulting from other
alarms should be suppressed instead of "superfluous alarms".

Section 5.3.3: "Alarm Reporting Control (ARC) supports an automatic
in-service provisioning capability. "
1. Would be useful to define the functionality of the ARC
2.  Would be useful to define what exactly is required by "automatic
in-service provisioning".

Section 6.5: "	The MPLS-TP NE MUST have the flexibility to configure
OAM parameters to meet their specific operational requirements, such 
       		 as whether (1) one-time on-demand immediately or (2)
one-time on-demand pre-scheduled or (3) on-demand periodically based on
a 
        		specified schedule or (4) proactive on-going. "
1. It may be more appropriate to use the term "capability" instead of
"flexibility".

Thank you,
Yoav Cohen.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
ext Loa Andersson
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 18:25
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; Adrian Farrel; Ross Callon; George Swallow
Subject: [mpls] working group last call on
draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-req-01.txt

ALL,

This is to start a two week working group last call on

draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-req-01.txt

Please send your comments to the mpls-tp mailing list.

This working group last call is joint between the mpls, ccamp. Pwe3 and
l2vpn.

The working group lst call ends on May 19th eob.

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson

Sr Strategy and Standards Manager    phone:  +46 10 717 52 13
Ericsson ///                                 +46 767 72 92 13 

                                       email:
[email-masked]
                                               [email-masked]
                                               [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls