Subject: [PWE3] questions on cv types in <draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-bfd-06.txt >

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:00:19 +0800

hi,Nadeau and Pignataro:

recently, I have read the draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-bfd-06.txt, and have a 
question on cv types, please see the lines  below:

in section 3.3, it describes that:

BFD CV Types used for fault detection and status signaling (i.e.,
CV Types 0x08 and 0x20) SHOULD NOT be used when a control
protocol such as LDP [RFC4447] or L2TPV3 [RFC3931] is available
that can signal the AC/PW status to the remote endpoint of the
PW.

Can the author explain why these two cv types can't be used in the 
situations
described above. 

I will apreciate for your answer.

Regards
Dai

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.

---

From: Carlos Pignataro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:35:57 -0400

Hello Dai,

Those two CV Types include status signaling, and SHOULD NOT be used in
those situations because there is already a protocol that is used to
perform status signaling, to avoid synchronization issues and race
conditions from the control protocol's status messages and BFD messages
both signaling fault status information.

Note that the paragraph you quote ends with the following sentence also:

       ...
       PW.  More details can be found in [I-D.ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map].

And I think the relevant text is in Section 8.1 (and S8.1.3), at
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map-11#section-8.1>

Thanks,

-- Carlos.

On 7/17/2009 10:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3