Subject: [PWE3] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pwe3-fat-pw-07.txt> (Flow Aware Transport of Pseudowires over an MPLS Packet Switched Network) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:18:22 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to
Edge WG (pwe3) to consider the following document:
- 'Flow Aware Transport of Pseudowires over an MPLS Packet Switched
Network'
<draft-ietf-pwe3-fat-pw-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This is a second last call. The last call is only necessary because of a
further late-received IPR disclosure

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-08-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

Where the payload of a pseudowire comprises a number of distinct
flows, it can be desirable to carry those flows over the equal cost
multiple paths (ECMPs) that exist in the packet switched network.
Most forwarding engines are able to generate a hash of the MPLS label
stack and use this mechanism to balance MPLS flows over ECMPs.

This document describes a method of identifying the flows, or flow
groups, within pseudowires such that Label Switching Routers can
balance flows at a finer granularity than individual pseudowires.
The mechanism uses an additional label in the MPLS label stack.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-fat-pw/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-fat-pw/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1595/