Subject: Re: [PWE3] macbook air

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:41:08 -0500

I love the Air. The thing that makes it so fast is the Flash "disk" as
opposed to a real spinning drive (a lot more reliable as well). Rebooting
takes like 10 seconds.

I've got the 13", but I see a lot of the 11" here at Verizon, at the IETF,
and elsewhere, it depends on whether you want to optimize on screen size or
portability and weight. Also if you need the SD card slot, that's only in
the larger model. You should go to the Apple store and see how you like the
two sizes. The keyboard is the same in both models.

On either one, the single option that makes the most difference is the
system RAM - you should max that out to 8GB. Best $100 you'll ever spend.

You don't need to buy the external optical drive - you can "take over" the
optical drive on your iMac or other Mac that has an optical drive. I also
have the USB optical drive on my desk at home that I'm really not using.
You were going to take it down with you at some point and I think we
forgot, but you can take it any time you want..

We can talk about this for the holidays/birthday.

Cheers,
Dad

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Jon Malis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> hey...
>
> so i know you just spent A LOT on me and the new apartment, so I dont want
> to go too crazy at all, but I'm definitely thinking it might be time for a
> new laptop. and the MBA is the way to go.
>
> I know you have one, and I think you love it, right? what setup/config
> would you suggest?
>
> let's chat on it. but maybe we could split it or something for the
> holidays... it seems like when fully tricked out they can get pretty bloody
> pricey...
>
> --jd

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:42:31 -0500

My apologies - a personal email leaked out to the pwe3 list. I didn't
notice it until it was too late.

Cheers,
Andy

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> so i know you just spent A LOT on me and the new apartment, so I dont
>> want to go too crazy at all, but I'm definitely thinking it might be time
>> for a new laptop. and the MBA is the way to go.
>>