Subject: [PWE3] RFC 6870 on Pseudowire Preferential Forwarding Status Bit

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:45:15 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6870

        Title:      Pseudowire Preferential Forwarding Status Bit 
        Author:     P. Muley, Ed.,
                    M. Aissaoui, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 79254
        Updates:    RFC4447

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6870.txt

This document describes a mechanism for signaling the active and
standby status of redundant Pseudowires (PWs) between their
termination points.  A set of Redundant PWs is configured between
Provider Edge (PE) nodes in single-segment pseudowire (SS-PW)
applications or between Terminating Provider Edge (T-PE) nodes in
Multi-Segment Pseudowire (MS-PW) applications.

In order for the PE/T-PE nodes to indicate the preferred PW to use
for forwarding PW packets to one another, a new status bit is
defined.  This bit indicates a Preferential Forwarding status with a
value of active or standby for each PW in a redundant set.

In addition, a second status bit is defined to allow peer PE nodes
to coordinate a switchover operation of the PW.

Finally, this document updates RFC 4447 by adding details to the
handling of the PW status code bits in the PW Status TLV.

This document is a product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC