Subject: [PWE3] AAL5

From: Shabnam Sodagari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 03:29:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi
 
Could any one please explain to me what the AAL5 UU (user to user) byte is exactly used for?
Does it have any uses for multiplexing IP packets transmitted over ATM?
If not, where at the AAL 5 is it possible to have this feature ?
 
Thank you 
Shabnam

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: Prakash Jayaraman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 05:37:05 -0700

Document "FRF.8 (Frame Relay - ATM Service Interworking)" describes the
use of one bit of this UU-byte for carrying "command/response" field of
a frame-relay service.

- prakash

Shabnam Sodagari wrote:

Hi

Could any one please explain to me what the AAL5 UU (user to
user) byte is exactly used for?

Does it have any uses for multiplexing IP packets transmitted
over ATM?

Thank you

Shabnam

Do You Yahoo!?

http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:46:07 -0400

Shabnam,

I'm aware of at least one use for the UU octet - FR over ATM network 
interworking (FRF.5) uses the UU octet to carry FR header bits.

Regarding IP over ATM, RFC 2684 says:

The CPCS-UU (User-to-User indication) field is used to transparently
transfer CPCS user to user information.  The field is not used by the
multiprotocol ATM encapsulation described in this memo and MAY be set
to any value.

Cheers,
Andy

----------