Subject: Frame changes landing soon

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:07:46 +1100

I have some changes outstanding to frames for -17.  I would like to
resolve these so that I can do some cleanup.

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1906 contains real changes
to the way that stream limits are signaled.

The discussion on https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1900
seems to be coming to a close (no pun intended, but appreciated
nonetheless).  That consolidates the description of APPLICATION_CLOSE
with CONNECTION_CLOSE (no wire format changes).

My current plan is to merge both of these in the next 24 hours.  That
will allow me to renumber frame types so that they start to make more
sense..  If you are interested in what that will look like, see
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G73qp-GBhXGyKEsZBudzWJY85FSa5txT4MxtVC5ajiE/edit?usp=sharing

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 09:05:24 -0400

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:07:46PM +1100, Martin Thomson wrote:
> sense..

What is the reason for renumbering the frames?  (Not that I am
against it -- simply curious.)  Is it to make the types easier to
remember in order to facilitate eyeballing hex dumps?  Or is there
some other goal?

  - Dmitri.

> If you are interested in what that will look like, see

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 10:02:02 +1100

> remember in order to facilitate eyeballing hex dumps?  Or is there

Just tidiness.  It would be good to have the document ordered in a
sensible fashion, and to be consistent with the frame numbers.  Over
time, as we've added and removed frames, we didn't renumber, and so we
have them all over.  And, as you say, changing the numbers isn't
particularly difficult.