Subject: Proposal: add H3 to the Implementation Draft

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 22:42:33 -0500

Hello,

I would like to share good news: LiteSpeed Technologies' and Facebook's
IETF ID-16 implementations achieved HQ interop (or shall I say H3?) a
couple of hours ago.  That means HQ frames, QPACK, the whole shebang.

We believe that the next Implementation Draft should use H3, rather than
HTTP/0.9, as the data exchange mechanism.  Now that transport changes
will be kept to a minimum after the -17 family of drafts, it is time to
implement H3, IETF QUIC's first "killer app."

  - Dmitri.

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 20:25:31 -0800

Good news, well done.

Whether it's formal or not, I look forward to continued interop of
HTTP/QUIC.

One barrier to interop will be QPACK. Some of the progress made recently
has been to use "pre-canned" binary blobs that emulate a client making a
well-formed request. I wonder if this could be used more generally as a
shortcut for some implementators to jump-start their interop.

Lucas

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 00:18:11 -0500

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 08:25:31PM -0800, Lucas Pardue wrote:
> One barrier to interop will be QPACK.

QPACK is not as scary as it may be made out to be sometimes.  Doubtless,
it's some work.  That's why it's better to start doing it sooner rather
than later.  (Alternatively, grab an existing implementation [1].)  There
is a bunch of us in the #compression Slack channel willing to help.

> Some of the progress made recently has been to use "pre-canned" binary
> blobs that emulate a client making a well-formed request. I wonder if
> this could be used more generally as a shortcut for some implementators
> to jump-start their interop.

It could.  Email me or drop by the #compression Slack channel if you
need a blob like that and I will make one for you.

  - Dmitri.

1. https://github.com/litespeedtech/ls-qpack

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 07:03:37 +0100

> is a bunch of us in the #compression Slack channel willing to help.
(...)
> 1. https://github.com/litespeedtech/ls-qpack

Thank you Dmitri for sharing this, it will certainly help a number
of implementations make progress regarding QUIC/H3 adoption! Much
appreciated!

Willy

---

From: Alan Frindell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 17:30:05 +0000

+1 to everything Dmitri said.

And another pointer to an existing implementation (C++): https://github.com/facebook/proxygen/tree/master/proxygen/lib/http/codec/compress/

On 11/6/18, 10:04 PM, "QUIC on behalf of Willy Tarreau" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    (...)

    Willy