Subject: ECN counts are global

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:03:37 -0500

Hello,

According to my reading of the spec (transport-16), ECN counts are
global.  One implication of this is that ACK frames carry packet
numbers from different packet number namespaces, but ECN counts
from the same -- global -- namespace.

Not that there is anything wrong with it; I just wanted to point
this out.

  - Dmitri.

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:46:16 -0500

It's been pointed out to me on Slack that this was changed after -16:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1913

The ECN counts are now also split into packet number spaces.

  - Dmitri.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:16:22 +1100

> The ECN counts are now also split into packet number spaces.

Yes, it was pointed out that the split was necessary to be consistent.
And we weren't really clear in the first instance.

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 16:28:39 +0000

Hi,

QUICDEV invoked me one some unclarities and there is a proposal for some
additional ECN clarifications in this PR:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2113

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Network Architecture & Protocols, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Torshamnsgatan 23           | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------