Subject: [radext] saslprepbis and NAI

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 09:17:09 -0500

The RADEXT WG is in the last stages of publishing the updated NAI
document:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-radext-nai-10

  This defines a standard for "username@realm" handling, where "realm"
is a fully qualified hostname.  It would be useful to reference that
from the saslprepbis document.

  The NAI is used for EAP (802.1X), AAA, 3GPP, and international roaming.

  The NAI is a subset of the "userpart" defined in Section 3.1 of the
saslprepbis document, in that it *requires* "username@realm", and the
"realm" part is a fully qualified domain name.

  Hmm... I've just noticed that the ABNF in the NAI allows for IP
addresses in the "realm" portion.  That's not the intent.  I'll have to
go fix that.

  I'd like to be sure that the NAI document is compatible with (or at
least not in violent disagreement with) the precis work.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:36:45 -0700

> least not in violent disagreement with) the precis work.

Hi Alan, thanks for the heads-up! I am hoping that we are in violent 
agreement. I'll make sure to cross-check draft-ietf-radext-nai and 
draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis carefully here soon.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:53:30 -0700

> from the saslprepbis document.

What kind of reference do you have in mind? Perhaps a pointer from 
Section 3.4 ("Application-Layer Constructs")?

> least not in violent disagreement with) the precis work.

I've just reviewed the NAI specification. Although it does directly not 
address issues such as width mapping, case mapping, and Unicode 
normalization (seemingly inheriting its handling of those issues from 
RFC 5335 for the username portion and from IDNA2008 for the realm 
portion), as far as I can see it is compatible with saslprepbis.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:50:26 -0500

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Saint-Andre <- &yet <[email-masked]>> writes:

    Peter> I've just reviewed the NAI specification. Although it does
    Peter> directly not address issues such as width mapping, case
    Peter> mapping, and Unicode normalization (seemingly inheriting its
    Peter> handling of those issues from RFC 5335 for the username
    Peter> portion and from IDNA2008 for the realm portion), as far as I
    Peter> can see it is compatible with saslprepbis.

So, is it our plan to address these issues in the EAP identity document?
I can see the argument for not addressing them in NAI, but they need to
be called out somewhere.

--Sam

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:54:25 -0500

> Section 3.4 ("Application-Layer Constructs")?

  Yes.  Just another indication that there are applications using the
constructs.

> portion), as far as I can see it is compatible with saslprepbis.

  Thanks.  RFC 4282 did address many of those issues, and the conclusion
was it's recommendations were wrong.  This document addresses the issues
by pointing to other documents.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:55:02 -0500

> So, is it our plan to address these issues in the EAP identity document?

  I think so, yes.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:01:17 -0700

>    Yes.  Just another indication that there are applications using the

OK. I thought of some good text for this in the middle of the night but 
I neglected to write it down. :(  I'll work to add something in the next 
version.

> by pointing to other documents.

An eminently sensible approach, I think.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:14:55 +0100

Dear all,

Please note that draft-ietf-radext-nai-11 is the IESG telechat next 
Thursday.

Regards, Benoit
> _______________________________________________
> radext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radext
>