Subject: [RADIR] On the Radir problems statement

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:27:02 +0100

Thomas,

Here is the promised feed-back on the problem statement draft. I wrote  
this after e-mail discussion with a couple of folk on the IAB/IESG,  
little hallway discussion, and talking to you and Marla at the social.  
Please understand that there is no formal consensus and this note  
provides a personal impression.

WRT the problem statement draft I have come away with the conclusion  
that the document as-is is contentious with respect to the issues as  
presented in section 3. Mainly references to the scalability of  
hardware and the economics related to those are likely to not get  
consensus (and cause long and painful discussions). On the other hand  
folk find the 'taxonomy of pressures' in section 4 and 5 a fairly good  
and neutral description of what causes load and dynamics.

Also the 6 points mentioned in are also seen as valuable goals in  
working towards controlling the pressures. In other words, it seems  
that by dropping most of section 3 and rewording of 6 may do the job  
of getting the useful material exposed. Once that is done the most  
logical way to get the document out is via the routing ADs.

As for the directorate. I have been looking at its charter [1] and it  
seems that the world has changed since the directory was established.  
It occurs to me that the directorate has tried to focus on developing  
a problem statement (more or less items 1, 2, and 3  of the charter)  
and that, given its contentious nature, has absorbed a lot of energy.

I wonder what the directorates view is with respect to its  
effectiveness to items 4, 5 and 6 of its charter and the specific  
objectives mentioned in the charter. My thoughts on that: Realizing  
that the problem statement draft has proven to be a drag it may be  
time to conclude it along the suggestions above and focus on  
concentrate on the management activities. If it is possible to provide  
some sort of report about the status of the work well before Dublin we  
may decide to have a  IAB/IESG joint meeting on a wednesday morning.

--Olaf

[1] http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/radir.html

_______________________________________________
RADIR mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radir