Subject: (radius) International RADIUS

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 22:02:45 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone object if in the upcoming revised draft for RADIUS I specify
Unicode UTF-8 instead of ASCII in the places where it talks about contents
of printable strings?  My understanding is that UTF-8 is a superset of ASCII
so we have backwards compatibility, but it includes additional characters that
non-US sites may find useful.

I'm out of town 10/8-14 but will catch up on email when I return, so
please email me your thoughts (cc ietf-radius if you want to share them
with everyone else).

Does anyone know an online reference for UTF-8?  RFC 1641 has a reference to
[UTF-8]       X/Open Company Ltd., "File System Safe UCS Transformation
              Format (FSS_UTF)", X/Open Preliminary Specification,
              Document Number: P316. This information also appears in
              Unicode Technical Report #4, and in a forthcoming annex to
              ISO/IEC 10646.

--
Carl Rigney
[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Dave Mitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:43:01 -0400

Just scanning RFC2138 for "ASCII" I only find places where the "printable
ASCII characters" are recommended or MAY occur.  In which case, changing
ASCII to UTF-8 doesn't make much difference.  Just a different sort of
"printable".

In no place do I find any sort of character set encoding Required or MUST.

(hmm... scan for characters revels that User-Password talks about
characters in length)

Did I miss anything?

BTW: I do think that this is a good thing.

	Dave.

>              Unicode Technical Report #4, and in a forthcoming annex to
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Mitton					978-670-8888 Main
Consulting Engineer, Nortel Networks	978-916-4570 Direct
Carrier Packet Networks, I&SP Group	978-916-4789 FAX
Billerica, MA 01821				[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.