Subject: Re: (radius) International RADIUS

From: [email-masked] (Patrice Calhoun)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 05:27:16 -0700

That is fine with me. I am actually surprised that we got away with it in 
RFC2138,2139. The IESG (or rather certain members) are sensitive to this.

PatC

>Does anyone object if in the upcoming revised draft for RADIUS I specify
>Unicode UTF-8 instead of ASCII in the places where it talks about contents
>of printable strings?  My understanding is that UTF-8 is a superset of ASCII
>so we have backwards compatibility, but it includes additional characters that
>non-US sites may find useful.
>
>I'm out of town 10/8-14 but will catch up on email when I return, so
>please email me your thoughts (cc ietf-radius if you want to share them
>with everyone else).
>
>Does anyone know an online reference for UTF-8?  RFC 1641 has a reference to
>[UTF-8]       X/Open Company Ltd., "File System Safe UCS Transformation
>              Format (FSS_UTF)", X/Open Preliminary Specification,
>              Document Number: P316. This information also appears in
>              Unicode Technical Report #4, and in a forthcoming annex to
>              ISO/IEC 10646.
>
>--
>Carl Rigney
>[email-masked]
>-
>To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
>'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 18:03:17 -0700

>non-US sites may find useful.

It's a good start, but I don't think that it satisfies the requirements of
RFC 2277 (which I think we should be shooting for).  There is a draft in
last call in the pppext WG (draft-ietf-pppext-lcp-charset-04.txt) that
defines an LCP config option for negotiating charset and language in PPP.
While this approach works well for PPP, in runs into problems with RADIUS.
Even if there were RADIUS attributes that the NAS could use to request a
message in a given charset/language pair, there is no way for the NAS to
know before the LCP negotiations complete if a given RADIUS server supports
the option it has negotiated.  This could be handled with NAS configuration
in a small network, but if RADIUS proxies are involved (or multiple RADIUS
servers not contolled by the same people who administer the NASs) things get
more interesting.  Of course, the NAS could tell the RADIUS server what
option was negotiated, then drop back to LCP and renegotiate if the server
didn't support it, but that seems a bit inelegant.

>              Unicode Technical Report #4, and in a forthcoming annex to

RFC 2279