Subject: [RAI] FW: [Sipping] draft-ietf-sipping-media-policy-dataset: media-intermediaries

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:35:13 -0400

From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Worley, Dale R (Dale) [[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 4:25 PM
To: Gonzalo Camarillo; Volker Hilt
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] draft-ietf-sipping-media-policy-dataset:     media-intermediaries

The media policy dataset defines an XML element <media-intermediaries> for specifying intermediary
relays that should be used for sending media.  The current draft has some odd features with regard
to this element:

- It can be specified for a session-info but not a session-policy.  Whereas it seems to me that it should
be possible to put a media intermediary specification into a policy.

- <media-intermediaries> is specified as a child of <session-info>, with various complexities to allow
particular intermediaries to be specified for particular streams.  But it seems simpler to me to demote
<media-intermediaries> to a child of <stream>, so that the intermediaries for each stream can be
specified directly.

- The handling of media streams that use multiple ports is not specified clearly.  My impression is that the
only such protocol is RTP, which uses one port for the media (RTP proper) and one port for control information
(RTCP).  Are there any other protocols that use multiple ports?

Dale