Subject: Request for Policy BOF

From: Ed Ellesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 16:47:33 -0400

[Note: Please excuse multiple notes if you are on more than one of these 
lists. See bottom of this note for a mailing list specifically for 
discussion of policy frameworks.]

Scott and Vern, 

Please consider this to be a formal request for a BOF at the August IETF on 
the topic of "Policy Framework".

(This request was compiled from the results of an informal policy meeting in
Cambridge, June 12, 
1998, which took place immediately following the diffserv interim meeting, 
held there June 11-12.  In fairness to those participants, I am copying the
diffserv mailing list, and I therefore felt it to be only fair to copy other
working group mailing lists who may have an interest....please see policy
mailing list at end of this note for discussion on this BOF request.)

Number of Attendees (to informal pre-BOF policy meeting): 41 

(Signup list available on request)

At this stage, the agenda is preliminary, and not all presenters have
confirmed.  I have also left room for other presenters.   

Should the BOF be approved, and  others want time on the agenda, please
contact
me at: 

[email-masked]  

BOF Description 
----------------

Objectives of BOF: 

1. To consider the creation of a new IETF working group called "Policy 
Framework". The proposed scope for this working group includes a common, 
interoperable, and scalable framework and namespace for administering QOS 
and VPN security policy in a single network domain which uses some or all 
of the following protocols:
 
LDAP, SNMP, COPS, RADIUS, RSVP, Intserv, Diffserv, ISSLL, DSSLL, IPSEC 

2. To develop a charter for this new working group

3. To discuss the proposed architectural framework and functional 
description of the architectural elements, for policy administration and 
distribution, documented in draft-ellesson-sla-schema-02.txt (see diffserv 
archive)

4. To discuss the functional requirements of a schema or schemas which 
could act as a central repository for policy rules for administering QOS 
and security policy in a single network domain. (QOS includes rsvp, 
intserv, diffserv, issll and dssll. Security includes vpn and ipsec.) 
(The reason that both QOS and VPN security are considered here, is that it 
may be more efficient to include them both in the same schema, from an 
implementation and management perspective.)

5. To discuss whether a specific schema should be a deliverable of the 
working group.

Preliminary BOF Agenda (2 1/2 hours) 
-------------------------------------

-Review of BOF agenda and objectives: 
   (Ed Ellesson)                                - 10 minutes

-Proposed Architectural Framework 
   (Ed Ellesson)                                - 15 minutes 

-Proposed positioning of this framework 
 and namespace relative to other 
 IETF and non-IETF work:
 
 * LDAP, DEN and DMTF: 
   (TBD: John Strassner?)                       - 15 minutes

 * RSVP, Intserv, and RAP: 
   (Raj Yavatkar)                               - 15 minutes

 * Diffserv: 
   (TBD: Jean Christophe Martin or Raju Rajan?) - 15 minutes

 * VPN/IPSEC: 
   (TBD: Charlie Kunzinger?)                    - 15 minutes 

 * DHCP/RADIUS/Routing Policy 
   (TBD: Rajiv Chaudhuri?)                      - 15 minutes
 
 * other proposals                              - 20 minutes 

-Proposed Charter Discussion 
  (Ed Ellesson)                                 - 30 minutes

   * Scope/track 
   * Framework definition 
   * Schema 
   * Workgroup documents and Timeframe 

***************
Please direct discussion related to this proposed BOF to the following 
mailing list:
[email-masked]
To subscribe: 
send a note to [email-masked], with 
subscribe
on the first line of the note.
Archives at:
<http://www.raleigh.ibm.com/maillists/policy%5D>http://www.raleigh.ibm.com/m
aillists/policy]
******************

Regards, 

Regards, 

Ed Ellesson
Sr. Engineer, TCP/IP Technology Management
IBM Networking Software Products
Research Triangle Park, NC 
[email-masked]
919-254-4115