Subject: Request for IETF Work Group Meeting

From: Herbert Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:21:31 -0500

Fred, Harald, Keith, John, and Dave,

I am writing this request on the behalf of industry leading firewall
vendors (Check Point, TIS, CyberGuard, Raptor, Intel, SNI)and managed
security service provides (GTE/BBN) for your approval of a new IETF Working
Group and its meeting in the 40th IETF Meeting in Washington DC.  We had
met together in the 39th IETF meeting in Munich and started our BOF
session.  Since then, we also have met 5 times on the teleconference or
face-to-face in our private meetings.  The attached documents are the
results of our meetings:

1.  the Firewall MIB Working Group chater document
2.  the Firewall MIB RFC: draft-ietf-fireall-mib-19.txt

Please approve our application and help us set up an official place under
the Application Areas in the IETF.  Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
Herbert Lin

Herbert Lin
Manager, Software Development
Mail Stop: 20/6D
GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN
150 CambridgePark Drive
Cambridge, MA 02138

E-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: 617-873-5920
Fax: 617-873-6846

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:24:12 -0500

My immediate reactions are three:

- There is no time to get a WG approved before Washington, so this
  will have to be treated as a BOF request

- This work item belongs in the Operations & Management area, firewalls
  being rather a tool to stop applications from working than an application
  in itself.

- Given that I do not see a need for the charter review, I'm not going
  to take the time to get the MS-Word document out of the message; a
  charter submission is best done in ASCII.

Regards,

                   Harald T. Alvestrand

---

From: Herbert Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:35:45 -0500

All-
Please reconsider our request for IETF Work Group Meeting with the reasons
below.

Herbert

>  will have to be treated as a BOF request
Cindy Grall (TIS) and I tried our best to formulate/revise the RFC and the
Charter document revisions. Our request went out on the Date: Mon, 17 Nov
1997 17:21:31.  I think we meet the deadline requirements posted by IETF
listed below:

Deadline dates for the 40th IETF Meeting - Washington, DC

November 17 - Working Group scheduling closes at 1800
November 21 - Internet Draft submission cutoff date at 1700
November 28 - Registration Payment cutoff date at 1700
December  4 - Registration cutoff date at 1700
December  4 - Working Group agendas due date by 1700

>  being rather a tool to stop applications from working than an application
I discussed where this work item belongs in the 39th IETF Munich Meeting
with Steve Coya and John Curran.  They both suggested that Firewall MIB can
belong to the Application Area.  That's why I send it over for your
approval yesterday.  However, after review the BOF and WG sessions planned
in the IETF Operations & Management Area, I can agree with your suggestion
too.  John Curran <[email-masked]> and Michael O'Dell <[email-masked]>, do you
agree?  Can you approve our request and agree to help us?

>  charter submission is best done in ASCII.
Sorry about the MS Word format document.  The ASCII text formatted Firewall
MIB Work Group Charter statment is attached with is e-mail.  Furthermore, I
do not want to repeat the RFC document for everyone in this list.  I can
sent it separately, if John and Michael O'Dell need it.

PS.  A minor correction in my original e-mail:
Intel is not a firewall vendor.  Thanks to David Chouinard's correction.  I
included it by a careless mistake; but with the intention to honor all the
participants in this Firewall MIB creation effort.

>                   Harald T. Alvestrand
--------------------
Original request sent Nov. 17 attached below:

>Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:21:31 -0500
>To: [email-masked],  Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>,
Keith Moore <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked],  [email-masked]
>From: Herbert Lin <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Request for IETF Work Group Meeting
>Cc: IETF Firewall MIB Mailing List
>X-Attachments: C:\Herbert\SitePartol\4.0\SNMP agent and MIB\Firewall MIB
Charter.doc; C:\Herbert\SitePartol\4.0\SNMP agent and
MIB\draft-ietf-fireall-mib-19.txt;

Herbert Lin