Subject: [Raven] UK RIP Bill: Scrambling for Safety 2000, 22/3/00, REGISTRATION OPEN

From: "Caspar Bowden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 14:47:37 -0000

[apologies for any duplication owing to multiple lists etc.]

      =======================================================
      PLEASE REDISTRIBUTE WIDELY - PLEASE REDISTRIBUTE WIDELY
      =======================================================

	      	http://www.fipr.org/sfs2000

     PROGRAMME DETAILS UPDATED CONTINUOUSLY - CHECK FOR CHANGES
     ==========================================================

        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        SCRAMBLING FOR SAFETY 2000 - Wednesday March 22nd
        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The Internet Service Providers Association, the Foundation for Information
Policy Research, Privacy International, the LSE Information Systems
Department, GreenNet and Poptel are jointly sponsoring the fifth open
public conference on encryption, e-commerce and Internet surveillance.

The Home Office's REGULATION OF INVESTIGATORY POWERS (RIP) bill received
its Second Reading in the House of Commons on March 6th, and amendments are
now being considered in Standing Committee. Minister of State Charles Clarke
MP, opposition parties, officials, legal, technical and industry experts
will explain the purposes and consequences of the legislation and take
questions from an expert audience.

	13:30-17:45, Wednesday 22nd March 2000

	New Theatre, East Building,
	London School of Economics,
	Houghton St., London WC2

	Admission is free of charge. Telephone enquiries: 0958 466552

	Registration: Send one e-mail per place required to [email-masked]
			  (confirmation within 24hrs)

	DRAFT PROGRAMMME (check website frequently for updates)
	==============================================================
      13:30	Welcome		Jim Norton (IoD e-commerce Policy Head)
      13:40 Overview		Caspar Bowden  (director of FIPR)
      14:00 TBA
      14:45 Charles Clarke MP	(Minister of State at the Home Office)
      15:10 Panel Q&A 1		TBA
      16:00 Oliver Heald MP	(Shadow front Bench Spokesman for Home Affairs)
      	+ LibDem spokesperson
      16:40	TBA
      17:15 Panel Q&A 2
      17:45 Close

      Panellist/Speakers(subject to re-arrangement and confirmation)
	==============================================================
      Home Office officials	Members of the RIP Bill team
      David Marsh			Chair, E-Centre UK Legal Advisory (Needham & Grant)
      Peter Sommer		Special Adviser to DTI Sel.Ctee E-Commerce Inquiry
      Dan O'Brien			STAND, Need to Know, Sunday Times
      Ian Walden			AEB's Legal Advisory Group, Bird and Bird,
      Paul Renny			ISPA legal view, Theodore Goddard
      Brian White MP		PITCOM
      Alex Hamilton		Liberty
      DTI Official		DTI Electronic Communications Act Bill Team
      Steve Thomas		Association for Payment Clearing Services
      Others TBA

We are always interested in suggestions for additional
speakers/panellists and topics ([email-masked])

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven