Subject: [Raven] Yahoo 9/3/2000: "RADCOM and DATAKOM Join Forces to Provide a Solution for Lawful Data Network Interception in Germany"

From: "Caspar Bowden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:10:57 -0000

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/000309/nj_radcom__1.html
RADCOM and DATAKOM Join Forces to Provide a Solution for Lawful Data Network
Interception in Germany

Initial contracts were signed to supply up to 350 systems - each with a
specially adapted PrismLite

MAHWAH, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 9, 2000-- RADCOM Ltd. (NASDAQ: RDCM -
news) announced today that its multitechnology protocol analyzer, specially
adapted for use by DATAKOM, has been approved as a major component of
Germany's exclusive Lawful Interception (LI) solution. This is an innovative
vendor independent solution for lawful data network interception in Germany.
Initial contracts were signed to supply up to 350 PrismLite analyzers over
the next three years.

Data networks, including voice and video over data, are being used
increasingly as a communications medium. Therefore, lawful monitoring of
data networks is becoming as important as telephone network monitoring. As a
result, Germany has recently updated its G-10 law, originally passed in
1997, and similar to the CALEA law passed in the United States in 1994.
Service providers are now required to give law enforcement the means to
monitor their data as well as voice lines. DATAKOM and RADCOM's jointly
developed system enables German service providers to adhere to this law.

In this special LI system, the extracted information is not displayed or
recorded to hard disk or in memory rather, the data stream is securely
transported to governmental agencies responsible for LI tasks.

The versatile LI system is also capable of handling many different transit
networks, providing documentation and time stamping with official radio/GPS
time.The RADCOM/ DATAKOM LI system has been approved and certified by the
German Regulation Office and Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi).
DATAKOM has applied for a patent for the LI system.

``DATAKOM and RADCOM developed this LI technology in cooperation with major
German carriers and German Governmental Departments,'' said Paul Hoffmann,
Managing Director of DATAKOM GmbH. ``We use the powerful capabilities and
flexibility of the PrismLite analyzer for critical processes inside the G-10
LI system.'' Our solution is the only LI system on the market which operates
over multi-vendor equipment networks and meets the economic requirements of
this important project.``

``Now that we have received contracts from major carriers for the LI system,
we expect a substantial increase in orders from the remaining 300 PTTs and
service providers in Germany, all of whom have to comply with the
regulations for lawful interception,'' concluded Mr. Arnon Toussia-Cohen,
CEO and President of RADCOM. ``We also expect similar requirements to arise
from other European Service Providers as well as from the United States as a
solution to requirements of its CALEA Legislation.''

About RADCOM

RADCOM is a leading network test and quality monitoring equipment
manufacturer focused on convergence technologies. The company specializes in
the design, manufacture, marketing and support of a line of high-quality,
integrated, multitechnology test and quality monitoring solutions for LANs,
WANs and ATM. RADCOM offers unique convergence testing solutions for VoIP
and cellular converged networks. RADCOM's test and analysis equipment is
used in the development and manufacturing of network equipment, the
installation of networks, and the ongoing maintenance of operational
networks to facilitate real-time identification, diagnosis, isolation and
resolution of network problems. RADCOM's sales network includes over 55
distributors in 45 countries worldwide and over 14 manufacturer's
representatives across North America. RADCOM's customers include Cisco,
Lucent, AT&T, MCI Worldcom, Sprint, British Telecom, Deutsche Telecom,
Ericsson, Motorola, and Telstra.

Investors should take note that certain statements in this press release are
forward-looking and may not give full weight to all of the potential risks
(e.g., product demand and market acceptance, rapid changes in technology,
the impact of competitive products, the challenge of managing expenses to
changing revenue resulting from changed product demand, the difficulty of
the timely completion of restructuring and changed priorities from these and
other factors). For more information on risk factors, please refer to
RADCOM's SEC filings, including RADCOM's most recent SEC filings on Form 20F
and Form 6-K.

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven

---

From: Declan McCullagh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:54:30 -0500

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,34937,00.html

                        UK Wants Tighter E-Trading Laws
                        by Declan McCullagh ([email-masked])

                        3:00 a.m. 14.Mar.2000 PST
                        FAIRFAX, Virginia -- It's not that Phillip
                        Thorpe hates the Internet, not exactly.
                        But he sure wishes the problems it causes
                        him would vanish as quickly as Bill
                        Bradley's presidential ambitions.

                        Thorpe has one of the most difficult jobs
                        anyone can hold nowadays: He's a
                        regulator. And not just any regulator, but
                        the head of the British agency responsible
                        for overseeing the financial services and
                        securities industries.

                        In the U.K., London-based Financial
                        Services Authority can shut down any
                        unacceptable Web site that doesn't
                        follow British law, but the agency's reach
                        is limited.

                        Thorpe is concerned that British subjects
                        can connect to any Web site anywhere in
                        the world to deposit money or spend their
                        cash on risky -- though perhaps
                        profitable, and probably unregulated -
                        ventures. There's precious little Thorpe or
                        his FSA cohorts can do about it.

                       ...

                        Thorpe said a third possibility would be to
                        devise a new Web address for approved
                        finance and investment sites that would
                        look like finance://www.bankname.com/.

                        He said it would be a "specific kind of URL
                        for regulated financial entities, though we
                        know there are people we have to ask
                        about that."

                        The people Thorpe is talking about are
                        the Internet Engineering Task Force, an
                        international group that sets technical
                        standards but values its independence
                        from the demands of any one national
                        government.

                        ...

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:29:49 +0100

>                        look like finance://www.bankname.com/.

in this case, http://www.bankname.finance.uk/ is probably a better fit,
for several reasons:

- Identifies the legal environment of approval (UK)
- Identifies the kind of approval (finance)
- Does not require new code in clients and servers
- Does not require any IETF action
- Possibly even within Thorpe's power to achieve

And that places the discussion strictly in a domainname context - that is, 
if it needs to be outside the UK scope, it's ICANN's problem.

                     Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: Ben Laurie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:00:17 +0000

> if it needs to be outside the UK scope, it's ICANN's problem.

Indeed, and actually I don't see why it would have to go beyond Nominet
to achieve.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
SECURE HOSTING AT THE BUNKER: http://www.thebunker.net/hosting.htm

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Coming to ApacheCon Europe? http://ApacheCon.Com/

---

From: "Ge' Weijers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:43:31 -0700

>                         know there are people we have to ask

The question now is: regulated by whom. I'm sure a small island-nation
can be found that is willing to 'regulate' about anything for an
appropriate fee. I'm certain it would take forever to get any
agreement between nations about this. Best keep this within national
borders.

Ge'

-- 
-
Ge' Weijers                                Voice: (614)326 4600
Progressive Systems, Inc.                    FAX: (614)326 4601
2000 West Henderson Rd. Suite 400, Columbus OH 43220