Subject: [rddp] Robust handling of untagged messages

From: Caitlin Bestler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:34:02 -0500

A careful reading of the current DDP draft may be compatible with
the current consensus of allowing an implementation to be robust
in the face of a buffer shortage. Indeed it maybe possible to
clarify that the desired behavior is a valid implementation
without making any changes to the draft.

While many required interactions between DDP and the LLP are
outlined, there is nothing that implies that this is a description
of the complete interface.

Therefore, the LLP layer could invoke an interface that performs
placement *only if possible*. The possible results of this interface
would indicate whether the placement had been accepted or not.

The DDP layer could reject a placement which cannot be handled
at the current moment, essentially asking the LLP layer to stall
the packet somehow or another.

The full semantics of "placement" and "delivery" would then be
intact, whenever the DDP layer accepted the placement.

------------------
Caitlin Bestler - [email-masked] - http://asomi.com/

_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp