Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 7988 on Ingress Replication Tunnels in Multicast VPN

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 21:47:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7988

        Title:      Ingress Replication Tunnels in Multicast VPN 
        Author:     E. Rosen, Ed.,
                    K. Subramanian, 
                    Z. Zhang
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 55979
        Updates:    RFC 6513, RFC 6514

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bess-ir-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7988

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7988

RFCs 6513, 6514, and other RFCs describe procedures by which a Service
Provider may offer Multicast VPN (MVPN) service to its customers.
These procedures create point-to-multipoint (P2MP) or
multipoint-to-multipoint (MP2MP) trees across the Service Provider's
backbone.  One type of P2MP tree that may be used is known as an
"Ingress Replication (IR) tunnel".  In an IR tunnel, a parent node
need not be directly connected to its child nodes.  When a parent node
has to send a multicast data packet to its n child nodes, it does not
use Layer 2 multicast, IP multicast, or MPLS multicast to do so.
Rather, it makes n individual copies, and then unicasts each copy,
through an IP or MPLS unicast tunnel, to exactly one child node.
While the prior MVPN specifications allow the use of IR tunnels, those
specifications are not always very clear or explicit about how the
MVPN protocol elements and procedures are applied to IR tunnels.  This
document updates RFCs 6513 and 6514 by adding additional details that
are specific to the use of IR tunnels.

This document is a product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org