Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 7971 on Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Deployment Considerations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 17:34:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7971

        Title:      Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO)
                    Deployment Considerations 
        Author:     M. Stiemerling, 
                    S. Kiesel,
                    M. Scharf,
                    H. Seidel,
                    S. Previdi
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      77
        Characters: 188372
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-alto-deployments-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7971

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7971

Many Internet applications are used to access resources such as
pieces of information or server processes that are available in
several equivalent replicas on different hosts.  This includes, but
is not limited to, peer-to-peer file sharing applications.  The goal
of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to provide
guidance to applications that have to select one or several hosts
from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired resource.
This memo discusses deployment-related issues of ALTO.  It addresses
different use cases of ALTO such as peer-to-peer file sharing and
Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) and presents corresponding examples.
The document also includes recommendations for network administrators
and application designers planning to deploy ALTO, such as
recommendations on how to generate ALTO map information.

This document is a product of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org