Subject: [rfc-dist] BCP 145, RFC 8085 on UDP Usage Guidelines

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:17:37 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 145        
        RFC 8085

        Title:      UDP Usage Guidelines 
        Author:     L. Eggert, 
                    G. Fairhurst,
                    G. Shepherd
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      55
        Characters: 145359
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5405
        See Also:   BCP 145

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-19.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8085

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8085

The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) provides a minimal message-passing
transport that has no inherent congestion control mechanisms.  This
document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers of
applications, tunnels, and other protocols that use UDP.  Congestion
control guidelines are a primary focus, but the document also
provides guidance on other topics, including message sizes,
reliability, checksums, middlebox traversal, the use of Explicit
Congestion Notification (ECN), Differentiated Services Code Points
(DSCPs), and ports.

Because congestion control is critical to the stable operation of the
Internet, applications and other protocols that choose to use UDP as
an Internet transport must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion
collapse and to establish some degree of fairness with concurrent
traffic.  They may also need to implement additional mechanisms,
depending on how they use UDP.

Some guidance is also applicable to the design of other protocols
(e.g., protocols layered directly on IP or via IP-based tunnels),
especially when these protocols do not themselves provide congestion
control.

This document obsoletes RFC 5405 and adds guidelines for multicast
UDP usage.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org