Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8104 on Pseudowire (PW) Endpoint Fast Failure Protection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:07:39 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8104

        Title:      Pseudowire (PW) Endpoint Fast Failure 
                    Protection 
        Author:     Y. Shen, R. Aggarwal,
                    W. Henderickx, Y. Jiang
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 94878
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pals-endpoint-fast-protection-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8104

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8104

This document specifies a fast mechanism for protecting pseudowires
(PWs) transported by IP/MPLS tunnels against egress endpoint
failures, including egress attachment circuit (AC) failure, egress
provider edge (PE) failure, multi-segment PW terminating PE failure,
and multi-segment PW switching PE failure.  Operating on the basis of
multihomed customer edge (CE), redundant PWs, upstream label
assignment, and context-specific label switching, the mechanism
enables local repair to be performed by the router upstream adjacent
to a failure.  The router can restore a PW in the order of tens of
milliseconds, by rerouting traffic around the failure to a protector
through a pre-established bypass tunnel.  Therefore, the mechanism
can be used to reduce traffic loss before global repair reacts to the
failure and the network converges on the topology changes due to the
failure.

This document is a product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org