Subject: [rfc-i] Fwd: [IAB] Request for Proposal: RFC Format Tools

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 09:13:16 +0100

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[IAB] Request for Proposal: RFC Format Tools
Date: 	Tue, 20 Sep 2016 13:12:01 -0700
From: 	IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>

The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC), on behalf of the
RFC Editor, announces this Request for Proposals for the development
of a suite of tools to implement changes to the RFC format.  Bidders
may submit a proposal to develop the entire suite of tools or any
number of the tools. The successful bidder(s) will enter into a contract
with the Internet Society.

The RFC Editor plans to produce a canonical RFC document in XML
using the xm2rfc v3 grammar, and to publish the RFC in several
Publication Formats as defined in RFC 6949. This new process
requires new and updated tooling, including a revised idnits, a
Publication Formatter, diff checkers, XML and SVG validators, and a
text to XML generator.

More specifically:

1.  idnits

The idnits program inspects Internet-Draft documents for a variety
of conditions that should be adjusted to bring the document into
line with policies from the IETF, the IETF Trust, and the RFC Editor.

2.  Publication Formatter

This project will result in one or more applications to produce the
Text, HTML, and PDF publication formats from an xml2rfc v3 source
document. It will also produce a mechanism to create an xml2rfc v3
document from an xml2rfc v2 document, and a mechanism to
conditioning an xml2rfc v3 document entry into the RFC archives.

3.  RFClint

For a given input document, the application will help authors and 
the RFC Editor:
• Identify and optionally remove duplicate words
• Identify and optionally correct misspelled words
• Verify that imbedded XML stanzas are well formed
• Verify that imbedded ABNF is complete and well formed

4.  svgcheck

The upcoming RFC format will allow line drawings in RFCs using a
specialized profile of the SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) language. 
The RFC Editor requires a tool to verify that submitted SVG is valid
and conforms to  specific profile.

5.  Text Submission

This project will create an application to convert an Internet-Draft
formatted text file to an xml2rfc v3 document. 

6.  XML Diff

This project will create an application that operates on two xml2rfc
v3 source documents, producing a visual presentation of the
meaningful differences in the source.

The RFP can be found at: <https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html>.

Proposals must be received via email at [email-masked] no
later than October 17, 2016.  All questions, inquiries must be
submitted by September 28, 2016.  Responses to questions and inquiries
shall be posted online at:  <https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html> by
October 3rd.

The point of contact regarding this RFP is the IETF Administrative
Director, Ray Pelletier, [email-masked].

Ray Pelletier
IAD

_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 13:12:01 -0700

More specifically:

1.  idnits

2.  Publication Formatter

3.  RFClint

4.  svgcheck

5.  Text Submission

6.  XML Diff

Ray Pelletier
IAD