Subject: [Rift] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rift-rift-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 10:20:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing In Fat Trees WG of the IETF.

        Title           : RIFT: Routing in Fat Trees
        Authors         : Tony Przygienda
                          Alankar Sharma
                          Pascal Thubert
                          Alia Atlas
                          John Drake
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rift-rift-01.txt
	Pages           : 78
	Date            : 2018-04-27

Abstract:
   This document outlines a specialized, dynamic routing protocol for
   Clos and fat-tree network topologies.  The protocol (1) deals with
   automatic construction of fat-tree topologies based on detection of
   links, (2) minimizes the amount of routing state held at each level,
   (3) automatically prunes the topology distribution exchanges to a
   sufficient subset of links, (4) supports automatic disaggregation of
   prefixes on link and node failures to prevent black-holing and
   suboptimal routing, (5) allows traffic steering and re-routing
   policies, (6) allows non-ECMP forwarding, (7) automatically re-
   balances traffic towards the spines based on bandwidth available and
   ultimately (8) provides mechanisms to synchronize a limited key-value
   data-store that can be used after protocol convergence to e.g.
   bootstrap higher levels of functionality on nodes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rift-rift/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rift-rift-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-rift-rift-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rift-rift-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 10:33:46 -0700

New version of rift-01 has been published right before the interim to make
for a good weekend reading ;-)

Significant amount of changes I'll summarize very quickly here:

a) Pascal Thubert/Cisco joined the author's list and already shaped good
amount of ideas, improved contained ones.
b) Flooding Reduction has been completely refactored and we have now for
5-level-folded-Clos (3-stages) variants optimal flooding reduction _and_
load balancing with any degree of redundancy desired. For >5-levels the
solution is very close to optimal. The reduction is applied in completely
unsynchronized, distributed fashion optionally by each node to provide max.
amount of robustness @ lowest complexity. The cost is a mildly increased
complexity of leaf implementation if the leaf participates in the
reduction. We will try to provide implementation in the next binary package
release here before IETF ...
c) Fabric northbound bandwidth balancing has been completely rewritten
based on first experiences. This new version is implemented already in the
distributed binary package on
https://www.juniper.net/us/en/dm/free-rift-trial/
d) system ID derivation has been moved to EUI-64 MA-L format
e) optional local-downstream label binding is included in LIEs now. This
has many use-cases as e.g. Adj-SIDs or separation of forwarding planes when
RIFT is running in multiple instances.
f) Optimized support for prefix mobility is included in its first
iteration. Pascal will talk during interim about added optional monotonic
clock on prefixes and further ideas to allow for minimum reaction time to
prefix moves on fabric.

at the same time, we have people attacking details of the FSM write-downs
to start to flesh detailed appendices, if more people are interested in
those, please ping me or chairs. Good learning experience, important part
of the spec when people start to implement it.

looking fwd' to the interim, lots of stuff to talk about

thanks

--- tony

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 10:20 AM
Subject: [Rift] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rift-rift-01.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing In Fat Trees WG of the IETF.

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
Rift mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rift