Subject: [rmcat] Does any one give sprout a try

From: Fu Jiantao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 17:29:16 +0800

Sprout seems very impressive according to the test report.

http://alfalfa.mit.edu/#paper

More details below
-----------------------------------

Sprout is an end-to-end transport protocol for interactive
applications that desire high throughput and low delay. Sprout works
well over cellular wireless networks, where link speeds change
dramatically with time, and current protocols build up multi-second
queues in network gateways. Sprout does not use TCP-style reactive
congestion control; instead the receiver observes the packet arrival
times to infer the uncertain dynamics of the network path. This
inference is used to forecast how many bytes may be sent by the
sender, while bounding the risk that packets will be delayed inside
the network for too long.

In evaluations on traces from four commercial LTE and 3G networks,
Sprout, compared with Skype, reduced self-inﬂicted end-to-end delay by
a factor of 7.9 and achieved 2.2 the transmitted bit rate on average.
Compared with Google’s Hangout, Sprout reduced delay by a factor of
7.2 while achieving 4.4 the bit rate, and compared with Apple’s
Facetime, Sprout reduced delay by a factor of 8.7 with 1.9 the bit
rate.

Although it is end-to-end, Sprout matched or outperformed TCP Cubic
running over the CoDel active queue management algorithm, which
requires changes to cellular carrier equipment to deploy. We also
tested Sprout as a tunnel to carry competing interactive and bulk
trafﬁc (Skype and TCP Cubic), and found that Sprout was able to
isolate client application ﬂows from one another.

---

From: Kevin Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 14:33:19 -0600

Awesome except that it is not designed to compete with any any other flows
through a bottleneck.

Kevin Gross
+1-303-447-0517
Media Network Consultant
AVA Networks - www.AVAnw.com <http://www.avanw.com/>, www.X192.org