Subject: [rmcat] CfP (less than 2 weeks): Capacity Sharing Workshop (CSWS'13) at ICNP-2013

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:55:13 +0200

[apologies if you receive multiple copies of this]
===========================================================================

                             CALL FOR PAPERS

                   -----------------------------------
                   Capacity Sharing Workshop (CSWS'13)
                   -----------------------------------

In conjunction with ICNP'13, 7-11 October, Goettingen, Germany.

Internet data traffic continues to grow rapidly. The challenge that operators 
face, especially in the mobile Internet, is to support more subscribers with 
higher bandwidth demands and a large variety of services with different 
requirements. Therefore, operators need to seek for new technologies to 
efficiently utilize the available network resources, in particular, this 
concerns resource allocation and flow management. At the same time, network 
virtualization in data centers and carrier networks enables a more flexible 
and efficient resource management - but creates new challenges for sharing 
capacity among tenants and users of those networks, e.g, scaling up network 
resources transparently based on the congestion level. In wireless networks, 
capacity sharing is particularly relevant due to the inherently limited 
resources, which render a simple "throwing bandwidth at the problem" solution 
impossible.

This change in network operation and the strong growth and continual changes 
in the traffic characteristics and usage behavior raises questions on how to 
share limited capacity resources fairly and more efficiently. While 
efficiency is most important when resources are spare, fairness need to be 
evaluated based on the different quality requirements of the various Internet 
services that we have today. While the Internet, especially the mobile 
Internet, was mostly engineered to provide a low loss service, low-latency 
services are not well supported today. In addition, there is regulation that 
can impose additional requirements in some markets, such as availability 
requirements, network neutrality etc.

The objective of this workshop is to bring together researchers in the area of 
transport protocols, system designers of data centers, fixed and mobile 
access networks, and their applications to advance the state of research on 
capacity sharing. We solicit contributions on the state-of-the-art, results 
of ongoing research, open issues, trends and new ideas. We solicit 
contributions on the state-of-the-art, results of ongoing research, open 
issues, trends and new ideas. We want to encourage researchers to consider 
integrated consideration of the problem space over all layers. 

Topics
------
Topics of particular interest include, but are not limited to

* Context-aware resource allocation and cross-layer adaptation

* Network protocols to exchange information on the network state

* Support low-latency services and Transport layer solutions

* Possible interactions with cellular/fixed access networks

* Application-layer adaption especially for mobile and interactive services

* Network Function Virtualization and SDN to implement capacity sharing

* QoE and fairness definitions, metrics and evaluation

* Data traffic characteristics in fixed and mobile Internet

* Economic aspects on capacity sharing and business models

* Related standardization activities, projects and regulatory constraints

Submission
----------
Submissions must be original, unpublished work, and not under consideration at 
another conference or journal. Submitted papers must be at most six (6) pages 
long, including all figures, tables, references, and appendices in IEEE 
Computer Society format.
Please see the workshop webpage for further submission guidelines:
http://icnp13.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/csws13/

Important Dates
----------------
Paper submission deadline:	June 21, 2013
Acceptance notification:	August 2, 2013
Camera-ready paper:		August 9, 2013
Workshop date:			October, 2013 (to be announced)

Workshop Co-Chairs
------------------
Mirja Kühlewind, IKR University of Stuttgart, Germany
Dirk Kutscher, NEC Europe Labs Heidelberg, Germany