From: "Mike Luby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:59:16 -0700

In the upcoming RMT working group meeting at the IETF there will be a
discussion about whether or not a session control protocol instantiation is:

(1) within the mandate of the RMT working group

(2) valuable assuming that the answer to (1) is "yes"

The following draft is a description of a possible session control protocol.
Note that this draft is not an official submission to the IETF, and its
content will not be reviewed at the IETF meeting.  This draft is available
at:

http://www.digitalfountain.com/getDocument.htm/technology/library/draft-ietf
-rmt-mgl-pi-rccp-00-7-11-2001.txt

This document describes the Rich Content Control Protocol (RCCP), a session
control protocol for client initiated  content delivery.  The content in
question may be a file, a stream or some other form of content.  The RCCP
protocol  itself, however, is independent of the type of the content.  RCCP
offers support for both multicast and unicast  delivery.

Some of the key properties and goals of RCCP are:

(1) Initiation of the session including communication of the session
description to clients.
(2) Session monitoring to facilitate server side accounting.
(3) Session teardown, facilitating server side accounting and collection of
client statistics.
(4) Initiation and high level control of data packet reception.
(5) Prevention of some types of DoS attacks on servers.
(3) The ability to either directly or after configuration allow delivery of
content through firewalls.

This document is in a high state of flux, will be greatly modified in the
near future, and is not an official  document within the IETF.

Michael Luby
Chief Technical Officer
Digital Fountain, Inc.
39141 Civic Center Drive
Suite 300
Fremont, CA  94538

www.digitalfountain.com
[email-masked]
(510) 284-1420 (phone)
(510) 284-1499 (fax)
(510) 284-1400 (main)