Subject: ALC

From: Justin Chapweske <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 21:27:56 -0500

Hey gang,

I just read the new ALC spec and it seems to be a vacuous document to 
me.  What value does this protocol add beyond what the LCT protocol 
provides?

Thanks,

--
Justin Chapweske, Onion Networks
http://onionnetworks.com/

---

From: "Michael Luby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 19:51:14 -0700

Justin,

LCT is not a protocol, it is a building block that could be used to build
any number of other protocols as a building block.  And, it can be used as
the general session framework for a variety of other protocols, including
but not limited to on-demand streaming, reliable content delivery of objects
and live streaming.  Each such complete protocol will potentially use a
different reliability building block, and a different congestion control
building block, in addition to LCT.

ALC is a protocol instantiation, that in particular is a simple combination
of the LCT building block as the general session framework, FEC with no
feedback to the sender as the reliability building block, and a multi-rate
building block using multiple channels that is TCP-friendly and requires no
feedback to the sender as the congestion control (yet to be completely
specified).  Furthermore, ALC is specifically targeted for reliable content
delivery of objects.

You may call ALC vacuous. I call it a good combination of three
well-designed building blocks that fit nicely together, as they are supposed
to.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Justin
Chapweske
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 7:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ALC

Hey gang,

Thanks,

---

From: Justin Chapweske <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 23:15:56 -0500

Michael,

Thanks for the clarification.  I think you guys have created here, some
of the best designed protocols the IETF has to offer.  What tripped me
up is that ALC used to be a building block but has since been turned
into an instantiation.  Thus my usage of 'vacuous' was simply personal
contextual baggage and meant no offense.

Thanks,