Subject: [Rmt] FCAST as an additional work item in RMT WG

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:24:07 +0200

IESG,
(CC RMT WG)

The RMT WG has a proposal for a new WG item. There is strong support in
the WG to add this to the WG item. I do want to ask the IESG if they
have any objection against adding this as a WG item. The reason I am
asking is due to the RMT charter that specifies that new Items can be
approved with IESG consultation. I am positive to approval of this WG item.

The document is
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-roca-rmt-newfcast/
and is claimed to be a rather mature specification. It has been revised
5 times over the last 2,5 years.

The document defines an file delivery application that can run atop both
ALC and NORM, the two object delivery mechanism that RMT defines. The
existing file delivery application FLUTE only is defined over ALC. So
this the main motivation.

There is also a know IPR disclosure for Flute but not for FCAST. The WG
is aware that there are no guarantees for an unencumbered protocol, but
do like to have an alternative to Flute.

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------