Subject: [Rmt] RFC 5923 on Connection Reuse in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:12:16 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5923

        Title:      Connection Reuse in the Session 
                    Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     V. Gurbani, Ed.,
                    R. Mahy, B. Tate
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 41905
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5923.txt

This document enables a pair of communicating proxies to reuse a
congestion-controlled connection between themselves for sending
requests in the forwards and backwards direction.  Because the
connection is essentially aliased for requests going in the backwards
direction, reuse is predicated upon both the communicating endpoints
authenticating themselves using X.509 certificates through Transport
Layer Security (TLS).  For this reason, we only consider connection
reuse for TLS over TCP and TLS over Stream Control Transmission
Protocol (SCTP).  This document also provides guidelines on
connection reuse and virtual SIP servers and the interaction of
connection reuse and DNS SRV lookups in SIP.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC