Subject: [Rmt] About Flute-revised open points

From: Vincent Roca <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:41:00 +0200

Everybody,

A follow-up to our long discussion during the meeting:

1- Concerning Flute version, the email that convinced
     me of the necessity to move to version 2 is the
     following one, from Mike, sent on Feb 7, 2011:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rmt/current/msg01511.html

2- Concerning XML extensibility, after searching a little
     bit better in my archives, I finally found the initial reasons.
     See the following 3 emails (from June 2005):

  * The initial email (from Rod) explaining why 3GPP proposed
     another schema:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rmt/current/msg00404.html

  * The answer from Magnus, with the 3GPP schema:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rmt/current/msg00477.html

  * Finally Rod's promise (yes!!!) to include this schema:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rmt/current/msg00482.html

That's for the history. The question now is what do we want
to do?

   Vincent

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:01:31 +0200

Hi,

I think this is a good example of what I expect in this discussion. I
think that a number of the changes has good reasons to their changes and
that we are not likely to reverse the WG documents text. For the record
I don't really remember the reasons for the designs in this schema and
what the underlying 3GPP reasons are.

I have no rapid need for an updated flute so I am willing to let this
discussion go on for a while. Especially letting people try to dig up
any more motivations. But the fact is that the WG spent 5+ years in
producing this document. There are reasons why it looks like it does.
Reversing that decision at the last minute seems dangerous and likely to
cause more issues than actually bumping the version number.

Cheers

Magnus

Vincent Roca skrev 2011-03-30 22:41:
> _______________________________________________
> Rmt mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------