Subject: [Rmt] Protocol Action: 'FLUTE - File Delivery over Unidirectional Transport' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-rmt-flute-revised-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:52:13 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'FLUTE - File Delivery over Unidirectional Transport'
  (draft-ietf-rmt-flute-revised-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rmt-flute-revised/

Technical Summary
 
   This document defines FLUTE, a protocol for the unidirectional
   delivery of files over the Internet, which is particularly suited to
   multicast networks.  The specification builds on Asynchronous Layered
   Coding, the base protocol designed for massively scalable multicast
   distribution.  This document obsoletes RFC3926.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document represents a solid consensus of the RMT WG.
Flute version 1 was published as an Experimental protocol.
It has been widely implemented, including most of the changes in this document.
Many implementers compared notes and updated their implementations.
This document reflects industry updates to the original FLUTE design.
 
There was dissent over changing the version number, but there was rough 
consensus (including IESG push) that it is important to be able to distinguish 
version 1 from version 2 on-the-wire, because version 2 is not backwards 
compatible with version 1.
 
Protocol Quality
 
The WG reviewed the spec, and there are a number of implementations.
I (the AD) believe this specification is in wide use in shipping products.