Subject: re:QoS Issues for Transport of Multimedia Data over Cellular Wireless

From: "Vahe Balabanian" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jun 1998 09:24 EDT

Dear Sanket, MPEG has been looking at the matter of network 
independent and media dependent stream QoS for some time now. 
I wish to direct your attention to the ISO/IEC Delivery Multimedia 
Integration Framework Final CD on http://drogo.cselt.it/mpeg/

The DMIF Reference code operating over IP has been implementated by 
Xbind Inc. and the source code will be donated to ISO for general 
availability along with the DMIF Specification.

DMIF has also been presented to the AVT in a technical proposal
draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mpeg4-dmif-00.txt

Regards,

Vahe Balabanian
Nortel

In message "QoS Issues for Transport of Multimedia Data over Cellular Wireless", [email-masked] writes:

>Hi,
> 	I am working on the QoS issues for the transport of multimediadata over 
>a variety of networks (including cellular, and possibly ad-hoc networks)  as a 
>part of my Master's thesis. I want to look at these aspects in an
>architecture independent manner. More  specifically, I am interested in
>looking at the modifications needed to transport multimedia data over
>networks using Mobile IP at the network layer, RTP/RTCP payload in UDP
>packets, and how the different QoS parameters like jitter, end to end
>delay etc could be satisfied in such a scenario.
> 	Almost all of the literature that I have come across treats the 
>topic at a lower layer, assuming the existence of an ATM network and using 
>Wireless ATM to extend it over the wireless hop. In this, the QoS is 
>guaranteed by reserving timeslots in the TDM frames sent to the mobile 
>host. However, I feel that assuming the existence of an end-to-end ATM n/w 
>is not valid as the end-to-end connection may span across diverse 
>networks, all of which may not guarantee deterministic delays etc. I 
>intend to look at the issues from the modifications needed at the network 
>and the transport layers in an architecture independent manner.
>	I have not been able to find any literature on this topic, and if 
>anyone could provide me with useful pointers to information on this topic 
>it would be great. Also, if you could let me know your points of view on 
>looking at QoS provisioning in this manner, I would really grateful.
> 
>Thanks,
>Sanket Nesargi
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 			Sanket S. Nesargi
> 
> 	Research Assistant	 | 2400 Waterview Parkway, #1215	
> 	Distributed Systems Lab  | Richardson, TX - 75080
> 	UT Dallas                |
> 	Off: (972) 883 2420      | Res: (972) 437 1740
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
>
>
>
>                                                    
>