Subject: [rohc] Where is the pair operation figure in Sigcomp-05 ??

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 12:45:47 +0200

Hi:

I am observing that when Sigcomp-04 has evolved to Sigcomp-05, the 
figure 3 in SigComp-04 is missing in -05.

I didn't remember any discussion in the mailing list that concluded
to remove this figure. Has there been such a discussion?

Further more, without this figure, I doubt SigComp can ever work.
At least I would like to understand how SigComp will work if there
is not a process of exchaning information as described in the removed
figure.

For your information, I am copying the figure.   
 
             +--------------+                  +--------------+ 
             |              |                  |              | 
             |  Endpoint A  |                  |  Endpoint B  | 
             |              |                  |              | 
             +--------------+                  +--------------+ 
                    |                                 | 
                    |                                 | 
                    |        SigComp Discovery        | 
                    |<------------------------------->| 
                    |                                 | 
                    |        SigComp Request          | 
                    |-------------------------------->| 
                    |                                 | 
                    |                                 | 
                    |     Capabilities Announcement   | 
                    |<--------------------------------| 
                    |                                 | 
                    |                                 | 
                    |           UDVM Upload           | 
                    |-------------------------------->| 
                    |                                 | 
                    |        Compressed Messages      | 
                    |- - - -  - -  - - - - - - - - - >| 
    
             Figure 3: Compressor-decompressor pair operation 
    
/Miguel

-- 
Miguel-Angel Garcia                     Oy LM Ericsson AB
                                        Jorvas, Finland
mailto:[email-masked]     Phone:  +358 9 299 3553
mailto:[email-masked]        Mobile: +358 40 5140002

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Dr. Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:10:18 +0100

Miguel,

the figure in -04 is just one way of doing this.

You don't have to standardize the exact sequence of events -- do you need an
announcement before you can send data?  Depends on your specific
requirements.

So, in the process of minimizing the amount of contentious and unnecessary
information in the document, the figure went away.

Actually, a lot of material went away, including the annexes.  We intend to
use it to put together a "users guide to UDVM" document, which might become
an informational RFC later.  Of course, further input to that document would
be welcome.

Gruesse, Carsten