Subject: [rohc] sigcomp issue cabo-12

From: "Price, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:15:25 -0000

> cabo-12) byte_copy_right should point to first byte after buffer, not last
> byte of buffer

Hi,

We should definitely make this change in the next version of the draft.

There was originally a reason for byte_copy_right to point to the last byte
of the circular buffer, which was that the buffer used to be stored in the
highest UDVM memory addresses (so for a 64K UDVM the value of byte_copy_right
was always 65535). Pointing to the first byte after the buffer would have
required byte_copy_right to contain more than a 2-byte integer.

However, since the circular buffer can now be stored in the lowest UDVM memory
addresses (in front of the program code) the above reason is obsolete. So
for simplicity byte_copy_right should point to the first byte after the buffer.

Unless there are any objections I'll update my working copy of SigComp-06
to take this into account.

Regards,

Richard

---

From: "Dr. Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:41:41 +0100

> for simplicity byte_copy_right should point to the first byte

I'd still like to make sure bcr=0x0000 means that the circular buffer ends
with the byte at 0xFFFF.
I believe this is a natural result of the modulo 2^16 arithmetic rules, but
maybe it needs to be stated explicitly.

Apart from this clarification, I obviously agree.

Gruesse, Carsten

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc